WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Trucking Owner Operator needs some advice

Zacmarc2Zacmarc2 subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2016 in New Member Welcome
Hi,  I`m Ron, a trucker with my own authority running 1 truck. I previously found work off a loadboard until it came to an almost standstill.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can find shippers (websites ect.) that can use my services. I have a excellent  motor carrier rating, just need help drumming up business. I run a flatbed out of NW Indiana/Chicagoland area and stay within 200 miles. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks.

Comments

• Zacmarc2Zacmarc2 subscriber Posts: 1
    CraigL,
    Thanks for the info.I`ll try to think of some other uses for my tractor/trailer.Please keep me in mind should you have any other ideas.

Thanks, Ron
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Try looking in trade magazines like Outbound Logistics.  Yo might find something in their classifieds.  Also, try running an ad on Craig`s List - Truck for hire.
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    As an ex trucker ( company driver ) I can relate to a lot of what you`re going through. Is the 200 mile radius a requirement for some special reason? That can be pretty limiting if the available freight doesn`t meet that need. Have you considered leasing into a bigger carrier that has contracts or good amounts of dedicated runs and customers?
    One option besides loadboards, and maybe a little time consuming, is to search for area businesses ( northern Indiana and southwestern Michigan ) that could use flatbed service, and contact them directly, relating why you would be a good option for them to use your service.
  • thethinkerthethinker subscriber Posts: 2
    It seems that freight is very light all over! the company Gainey Transport here in MI just Defaulted on 238 million dollar note, thought they were a pretty good company. Have you thought about signing with a regional carrier for a bit until the economy turns around? Is the reason for the 200 miles because you don`t have a sleeper? That Craigs list ideas sounded pretty good.
  • BullDawgBullDawg subscriber Posts: 0
    Looks like this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond anyway. I am the wife of a truck driver and recently started a dispatch service to help owner operators. We are a free to try service with no obligation to use. We know how hard it is to find decent loads when you are on the road and we are here to help and if you utilize our service, we do all the paperwork! We also offer help with obtaining authority and permits as well as quarterly IFTA. We also partner with a well known factoring company for those that are interested in getting our special deal. Check out our website at BullDawgDispatch.com
  • Ziyapathan0143Ziyapathan0143 subscriber Posts: 150 Silver Level Member
    A taxi dispatch system is also an option for your business. keep an eye on the traveling business you will get more power though an website or app.