WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Greetings!

RazgrizRazgriz subscriber Posts: 13
edited August 2016 in New Member Welcome
Hello everyone!

I'd like to first thank you for maintaining this website. I've been bouncing all over the web trying to find a source of information that was staying up to date and had a strong community.

Anyways, my name is Chris. I am a registered Scuba Diver and Licensed Boat Captain. I hope to one day run a business based on that.

For the time being though, I have been experimenting in online businesses. Using them to gain experience and build capital. I have had some success, but I am ready to go even further.

I am hoping that by being around some of the people here, I can refine my tactics and learn some new things to help improve my business.

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Welcome to the StartupNation community, Chris!

My name is Ryan, I am the community moderator. What kind of online businesses are you currently working on?

I think a business relating to scuba diving or boating would be excellent. Perhaps some kind of touring or schooling service would be right for you. This would allow you to share your knowledge with others, and allows other to have a great learning experience. Just an idea!

Best,
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • RazgrizRazgriz subscriber Posts: 13
    Pleased to make your acquaintance Ryan.

My online businesses are centered on media, articles, and other basic things. Glorified blogs essentially, but dedicated to learning/schooling so I can see you are thinking in a manner similar to mine. I had played around with them before, but decided to start fresh and build a quality network from the ground up.

I started with sites that I could run based on hobbies and interests of mine. Designing sites to have some overlap so that readers are more likely to visit multiple sites. I'm hoping to use this network to create branding and have a dedicated group of readers to readily support it.

One of my final sites will be dive related to serve as the link between my online and offline business.

My ultimate goal is to use the money I've generated from my online network and start a dive shop. Sadly, as you can see. I have a few steps to take before I get there. Hopefully, I can use what I might learn here to help myself out!
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    That's great! I think you will be able to find a lot of valuable insights on our forums, and gather advice quite often. We are constantly monitoring the community for quality, which means making sure spam is not prevalent, making sure topics are relevant and doing what we can to encourage engagement within each thread.

Please feel free to provide your own insights, ask questions and advocate for the entrepreneurship spirit throughout the community.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
    Thanks! Looking forward to it!
  • Charlie PCharlie P subscriber Posts: 84 Silver Level Member
    Welcome to the forum and I hope you find all that you are looking for! It's awesome that you have those long term goals to reach for and are honest enough with yourself to know that it will take time and effort to get there.
    Charlie P wrote:
    Welcome to the forum and I hope you find all that you are looking for! It's awesome that you have those long term goals to reach for and are honest enough with yourself to know that it will take time and effort to get there.

Thank you!

I think you have to be honest with yourself to achieve any goal. I know I do not have the money or even the knowledge to do what I want to do yet.

That's why I want to design a plan of action that starts with little steps and builds from there. As long as everything goes according to plan, I will have the needed capital and experience to implement my final goals.
  • BearBytesBearBytes subscriber Posts: 3
    Welcome Chris, I have also just joined the company and a scuba diving company sounds like a great idea for you, I reckon it's easier to push forward with a business when it's something you and enjoy and feel passionately about. I'm sure you'll have no problem acheiving those long term goals since its something you find joy in!

David