WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

help in choosing a creative name

reviehapsarireviehapsari subscriber Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2016 in Grab Bag
I need your help in choosing a creative name other than "Event(s)" in my business` name. Just about (though not all) every wedding and event planner`s website I`ve visited since 2004 (when serious research began) has the word "event" in their company`s name. The thesaurus was no help.I want to use something unique, but sensible that would indicate what we do. Whatever replacement we choose, it will be the last word in the company name. Example: Spirit Grace X. The "X" being the replacement."Party(ies)" is not even a consideration. I have considered occasions, festivities, fete, affair(s), fiesta(s), celebration(s) and though I`m not a huge fan because it`s used a lot, design(s).Your suggestions are sincerely appreciated!

Comments

• Charlie PCharlie P subscriber Posts: 84 Silver Level Member
    Choosing a business name is very difficult and a rough process. Not sure if you have a budget for this or not, but here are a few places that may be of use for you:
    https://www.namingforce.com/
    https://www.squadhelp.com/?link=nav

Also, you can see about having someone on a site like Fiverr.com help you with ideas.

While all these ideas come with a varying price tag, don't underestimate the impact a good name is in separating yourself from the rest of your market.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Hi, Reviehapsari:

I think the word "Celebrations" is the most compelling on your list; personally, I would go with that. The only other idea I can think of (that you did not already mention) is "Ceremonies." Although, I think the connotations of the words "Ceremonies" and "Events" could be quite different. Ceremonies are generally of higher regard and honor a person or entity. I'm not entirely sure what your business does, but I am assuming it handles all kinds of events, not just ceremonies.

I would definitely jettison "Affairs" from your list of potentials because that word can have a negative connotation (example: an unfaithful relationship is often referred to as an "affair"). If you're not in a predominately Spanish-speaking county, I would suggest dropping "Fiestas' from your list as well. Sure, most people know that word translates to parties in English, but don't expect everybody to know that. It also may come off as somewhat phony.

If you need additional help on picking a name, please refer to the article linked below. It is a little dated at this point (2011), but the principles of the article still stand today.

https://startupnation.com/start-your-business/plan-your-business/5-company-naming-mistakes-that-can-kill-your-startup/?utm_source=community%20&utm_medium=11678&utm_campaign=new-topic%20

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Charlie PCharlie P subscriber Posts: 84 Silver Level Member
    Was thinking about this one and really liked some of things Ryan said (Great insight by the way!). Of the ones on the list, celebrations is probably the best. As a tag line "Making every celebration a lasting memory" or "Ensuring all of your celebrations are truly memorable".

I don't know, it hit me and I figured it was worth a share.
    Charlie P wrote:
    Was thinking about this one and really liked some of things Ryan said (Great insight by the way!). Of the ones on the list, celebrations is probably the best. As a tag line "Making every celebration a lasting memory" or "Ensuring all of your celebrations are truly memorable".

I don't know, it hit me and I figured it was worth a share.

Thank you, Charlie. Great insights from you as well. I think those are great tag lines; I'm particularly fond of the first one. We both feel "Celebrations" is the most compelling and relevant. We'll need to get Reviehapsari back here to comment.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • SpecialrisktermSpecialriskterm subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    How about using the word memory somehow? You may be able to use something like "Forever Memories" or simply "Cherish the Memory" or "Moments in Time" Just a thought.
    Good advice, @Specialriskterm. The term "memory" makes a lot of sense for that type of business. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Jessie HookieJessie Hookie subscriber Posts: 351 Silver Level Member
    1. Go for quantity.
    2. Keep it Simple.
    3. Associate.
    4. What do you want to communicate?
    5. Use Alternatives & Variations.
    6. Make it visual.
    7. Use a Metaphor.
    8. Combine Words.