WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Why Copywriting is Important

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited August 2016 in Marketing
There are alot of definitions for the term "copywriting." But the definition I like best of all is the one provided by Wikipedia:"Copywriting is the use of words and ideas to promote a person, business, opinion or idea."Hmmmm...copywriting sounds pretty important doesn't it? It is. Unfortunately, not all Internet Marketers feel that way. The reason I know this is because last week, I conducted a survey of IM'er's. The survey question I asked was: How often do you visit copywriting websites or read copywriting materials?Respondents had a choice of three answers...Continue reading Why Copywriting is Important.David Jackson

Comments

• jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You must prioritize copywriting specially if you using various marketing medium such as internet and print media. This book of branding and using taglines at http://awesomebook.eatmywords.com/ can be the perfect source for your concern.
  • TimitytTimityt subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    Good copywriting demonstrates to the client that you are worth doing business with. It should convince them, by the quality of your message, that you can be trusted to do this service. If you offer the information a customer is after but your writing is clumsy, they may appreciate your solution but seek someone more professional to fulfil it.
  • DidierDidier subscriber Posts: 0
  • willsmith1985willsmith1985 subscriber Posts: 0
    Recently, when search engines do not value much backlink, off-page SEO is gradually less matter in SEO. Hence, people are more likely focusing on On-page SEO and content writing is the strongest way help you to get high ranking. What you need to do is choosing right keywords, optimize your content as well as build good internal linking.
  • PhillipsPhillips subscriber Posts: 68 Bronze Level Member
    Email marketing is no longer only restricted to collecting a list of subscribers, choosing an email marketing software and sending out a bulk of emails to your list of subscribers. Of course, it is one of the most important part for carrying out a successful email marketing campaign. However, it is lot more than that in today’s world. One of the most important factor to consider while carrying out an email marketing campaign is presenting a high-quality email to your subscribers and the prospects. In the recent times, there has been a growing need for effective copywriting in emails to attract visitors, convert them into leads and thereby permanent buyers. A quirky piece of copywriting will always, always and always attract more subscribers towards your brand name. However, there are few things that person should remember before getting down with the task of copywriting. It will also allow your business to earn goodwill and bag full of cash.

Avoid using Spamming and Buzzwords

Implement a unique subject line

Email content should as per your targeted customers

Use the power of Verbs in your emails

Master the art of storytelling and information flow
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Content is king, right? As a former copywriter myself, I feel strongly about the importance of copywriting, and I have a few opinions on the matter.

First of all, a lot of folks seem to think copywriting is strictly an advertising term -- used for print, broadcast, transit and outdoor advertising. However, good copywriting is essential for multiple platforms -- your website, your marketing materials, your product descriptions, your public relations materials, etc.

Good copywriting gives your company credibility, positions it strongly in the industry and helps with organic search on your website. For organic search purposes, it is important to strategically place keywords throughout your copy, but in a way where it isn't obvious or too over the top. When users search those certain keywords, you're more likely to show up on the first few pages of the big search engines -- Google, Yahoo!, Bing.

Brilliantly-written content also keeps the users engaged on your website, and should help increase page views and time on the site -- as long as the content is quality and relevant on each page.

No matter the medium, it is essential that the copy is proofread, by several pairs of eyes, before it is officially deployed. In my opinion, nothing tarnishes the credibility of a company quicker than poor copy, littered with grammatical errors and irrelevant content.

Public relations and marketing materials are going out to journalists who write for a living. These journalists live, eat and breathe AP writing style and proper grammar. Nothing will lose their attention quicker than a poorly-written piece of copy. Print and outdoor advertisements are seen by millions of people. Why would they trust a company that doesn't know the simple difference between "You're" and "Your," or some other elementary grammatical mistake? It is important to have a copywriter on staff who is a grammar expert, is familiar with your company's preferred writing style (AP, MLA, Chicago, etc.) and can convey the company's voice.

Bottom line: good copywriting improves your SEO online, positions your company in a credible way and attracts and retains customers/subscribers. Its importance is often overlooked, but it should not be.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Cara O'BlenessCara O'Bleness administrator Posts: 68 Site Admin
    No matter your business, copywriting is key. Content is king for a reason!

In order to be a reliable source of information, your copywriting must be clear, concise and free of any and all grammatical errors. If your content is full of errors, your audience will find a different, more trustworthy source--and fast.

What do email campaigns, website content, advertising campaigns, social media blasts and blog posts all have in common? They revolve around content, and that means superb copywriting.

To establish yourself as a freelance copywriter, check out this article: https://startupnation.com/start-your-bu ... oney-boss/
    Cara O'Bleness
    Content Director
    StartupNation
    caraboyer wrote:
    No matter your business, copywriting is key. Content is king for a reason!

In order to be a reliable source of information, your copywriting must be clear, concise and free of any and all grammatical errors. If your content is full of errors, your audience will find a different, more trustworthy source--and fast.

What do email campaigns, website content, advertising campaigns, social media blasts and blog posts all have in common? They revolve around content, and that means superb copywriting.

To establish yourself as a freelance copywriter, check out this article: https://startupnation.com/start-your-bu ... oney-boss/

I agree, Cara. Clear, concise and grammatically sound is the foundation that good copywriting is built upon. I would add that it also needs to speak to the readers. That means less industry jargon and more written words in human terms. Words that are simple and help connect the consumer to the product, service, etc. Good copywriting doesn't always have to mean dressed up words and fancy phrases that very few people understand. It can be conversational, and should evoke a feeling. Of course, it all depends on the company's tone and voice.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • drdurham888drdurham888 subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    Hi,

I'd agree with a lot of the above comments.

What I'd like to add, is that I think it is often the Copy which binds together multiple marketing channels. It can create a coherent and consistent message to users, during their 'journey' across different digital (and non-digital) platforms.
  • RosielukasRosielukas subscriber Posts: 1
    Most web site copywriters would agree, in order to get ranked on search engines and also experience a good conversion rate of your site’s visitors into buyers, you need web site copy that accomplishes the following:

Catches the attention of your prospect.
    Draws your prospect into your sales copy with a strong emotional appeal.
    Makes the prospect feel like you’re talking directly to him.
    Describes the benefits of your products of services with persuasive sincerity.
    Demonstrates how you can solve the problem they have that led them to your site.
    Convinces your prospect of your unique sales proposition.
    Positions your company as the industry expert.
    Closes the deal and asks for the order.
    Offers the prospect an incentive to buy today.
    Motivates the prospect to contact you right away or at the very least, offer you his or her name for your mailing list.
  • alexdyer312alexdyer312 subscriber Posts: 1
    There are numerous approaches to promote on the web, however Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a standout amongst the most well known intends to expand your site's movement and make more individuals visit your website. SEO is the adroit control of setting certain watchwords in your page at certain essential places so that your site is amongst the primary aftereffects of a client's inquiry list, yet it ought to look like simply one more duplicate. Other than the duplicate, the watchwords can likewise be set at the title, headings and Meta labels which upgrades your site page's odds of getting higher positions.
  • buddypunchbuddypunch subscriber Posts: 3
    RyanOBleness, you have elaborated wonderfully why copy-writing is important. Content is king and avoid duplication penalty copy writing is very important.
    Buddy Punch - Employee Time Tracking Software
    buddypunch wrote:
    RyanOBleness, you have elaborated wonderfully why copy-writing is important. Content is king and avoid duplication penalty copy writing is very important.

Thank you, Buddypunch.

I was a freelance copywriter for nearly three years, so it is something that is important to me. Again, solid copywriting and attention to SEO should be a priority for any business -- small, medium-sized or large.

Speaking of SEO, and as you somewhat brought up, it's also important to pay attention to the constantly-changing search algorithm of Google to avoid penalties. The latest being "interstitials," or as I liked to call them, lightboxes. Those disruptive ads that often drop down and take up much of your screen. For example, a "Sign Up for Our Newsletter" ad on your site.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC