WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I've got a new business idea but ... will it work!?

FraRubinoFraRubino subscriber Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in Thought Leadership
Hello there!

I’m thinking to offer a new service to Human Recruiting world through internet.

It’s a new way to find the employee that best fit your requirement and It will be called Shadow Me. It will consist, as the name clearly says, in following an Entrepreneur/Employee during his work day in order to have a better understanding of the surrounding environment. The shadowing can last from 1 day to 1 month and can be unpaid.

Meanwhile I can find plenty of advantages for “The Shadowee” side (such as testing environment, experiment new job/path, expand skills and demonstrate how much you value) I’m struggling to balance advantages and risks on the “Shadower” side. I believe that having a person around you can be an hassle if not done in the right way.

I would love to hear your opinion concerning this topic and how you will rate the success of this project in your area of competence.
Thanks a lot for you cooperation!!
Francesco

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Interesting idea! I think you are right that the "Shadower" may not have as many advantages as the "Shadowee," and that this kind of opportunity would have to be executed strategically. However, I think it could be a mutually beneficial relationship.

You have already cited several advantages for the "Shadower," but here are a few for the "Shadower" as well:

-Giving back: It would be an opportunity for somebody who is established in the business/entrepreneurship field to give advice and teach the ropes to those looking to enter the field. We all had to start somewhere.

-It can help make them a better employee: The "Shadower" must remain laser-focused and ultra-productive in order to show somebody shadowing him/her how to properly get the job done. It's easy to get in a routine, this could be a reminder to get more motivated.

-It promotes knowledge: A person who is shadowing is going to have plenty of questions. You, as the "Shadower," are able to release your wisdom upon a person who is looking for all of the advice he/she can get right now. Knowledge is a powerful thing, and you can be the source of it because you've been there already.

-It is a platform to show off the company culture: When you're allowing somebody to shadow you, they're not just shadowing an individual, they are getting a sense of the company atmosphere as a whole. If your company has a friendly, hard-working atmosphere, it's going to resonate with the "Shadowee" -- who is likely to tell people all about it.

I hope that short list leads you toward the right direction, and I hope you are able to carry out this great idea. I am interested to see what the community has to say about this.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC