WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

I Know How to Develop Software, But...

NathanBradyNathanBrady subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2015 in Selecting a Business
Hello all,
I've been developing software professionally for nearly 20 years now. All of that experience has been in the custom software realm: being paid to take someone's idea, help them work out the details, such as functionality, technologies, preparation for growth and monetization. It's actually been pretty awesome, as I've delved into many industries and processes.

I'm considering striking out on my own after doing this for others for so long. I've had some ideas here and there, but have yet to pull the trigger because I know to be successful, it has to be marketed. Zillions of developers out there fall victim to the "build it and they will come" mentality, even with ingenious ideas. I don't want to be one of them.

It should be noted that what I've been doing is not just coding, which is most of what you'll see when you Google "software development". It's a fairly common misconception outside of the biz. The key to building a software product has nothing to do with the actual programming, it's working out the product and the details before any coding is done at all. It's actually a relatively rare skill, and I've been fortunate enough to have the chance to develop it.

At any rate, I'm hoping to start some conversations about possible connections and finding a great idea to turn into reality. To be clear: I'm not looking to be hired, but to help take an idea and run with it.

Best regards,
Nathan

Comments

• Options
    BigPaperBigPaper subscriber Posts: 1
    I have similar motivations as well. I have a great job, with great pay but I still need to go to work everyday . Am interested in building my own business too.

Definitely agree that programming is not/should not be the big part, but having expert programming skill is critical for the technology plan. In my experience and failed attempts in the past I realize that it is too easy to bite off more than you can chew with the programming and get yourself into a development/maintenance nightmare. Also skipping early steps due to lack of manpower is a recipe for disaster.
  • Options
    GoodbyeCurryGoodbyeCurry subscriber Posts: 0
    After about five years I am pleased to say that I finally got it through my thick head (eventually) that my ideas suck, no matter how good I think they are and I do NOT understand the way the general public think. So I take your point in the need to shape your product to the desire landscape before investing resource in development.

However, if you can build a small prototype that has a little value and if you can build it quickly (say over a couple weeks), whats the harm in trying to build? I think its a good way of fishing and demonstrating and evaluating customer appetite.