WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Branding

Hello,
My name is Logan. I am a new Member here at Startup Nation. I hope I am not posting this in the wrong section or area. I am completely new to Forums to be honest .

I am seeking advice on naming a new Startup? Every Domain I have tried to register regarding my new business launch is taken.
Ive browsed the big marketplaces for "brandable" Domains for an idea..brandbucket and brandroot etc,but the names seem odd and cheesy to be frank. I am heavily considering purchasing 1 of 5 names on brandstring.com. they are smaller but i dont feel lost when browsing.

Do you guys have any feedback on tips or what you have done for your Domain aspect? Thank you for any help.
Logan

Comments

• SmartWebCraftsSmartWebCrafts subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello Logan,
    I'm also new here.
    I've noticed recently that some companies are starting to switch to, for example, .io extension, .id, etc making up a name like luc.id, etc.
    Now there are a ton of new extensions, perhaps you can benefit from those 2 part composed words (samplicio.us) and get a good memorable domain for your business.
  • hughjacjhughjacj subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi there!

I also noticed that more and more startups use other extensions than .com. This is of course because there are not so many .com names available if you want a really good one. However I think in the long run .com is the better alternative since almost everyone that remembers a name of a website still assumes or try first with the .com when typing the name in the browser.

When helping clients finding names for startups, I have always managed to find reasonable priced brand names at either Brandroot, Brandbucket or Kickstartnames.com , there are still good .com names out there if you are prepared to spend some time out there browsing the brandable marketplaces.
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    hughjacj wrote:
    Hi there!

When helping clients finding names for startups....

For your clients, hughjacj, do you also recommend reserving various extensions, or just the want that you plan to include in your branding/marketing?
  • CreativePileCreativePile subscriber Posts: 4
    Hi logan,

Choosing the name. has to be our favorite part about startups. We recommend jotting down all the available domains. this way after a few days work you have a big list to choose from. Make a separate list for the names you really want that are for sale. I know there are also online actions that sell off recently lost domains. I know godaddy provides this service. https://auctions.godaddy.com/
    Creative Pile
    Design+Branding+Marketing
    How To Brand Your Business | Part 1
  • bharat.nimblechappsbharat.nimblechapps subscriber Posts: 186 Silver Level Member
    Hi Logan,

Can you share some of your Business Details like

What kind of your Startup ?
    Is your Startup in Service Industry or Selling Goods ?
    Is you business is based on limited location only ?
    I am online marketer at Nimblechapps Web Development Company | Mobile Game Development Company
  • SunbirdCreativeSunbirdCreative subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    Hi Logan,

It's a bit late but just in case... My agency provides a naming service for small budgets! It results in 12 domain-free, on-brand names. Check it out in the "Store" on our website.