WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Seeking startup advice

romanroman subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2015 in Business Planning
Hello,
I'm new to the forum, hope I'm posting in the right place.

Here's my situation:
I am a professional audio engineer and have been working in broadcast and music production for about 11 years now. I'm 35 years old and I'm starting to get this itch to start my own audio production company. I know a lot about my profession and I am good at what I do. I am also good with clients and through my professional work have made a lot of contacts in the local community who could become customers. My problem is I know virtually nothing about business and it seems daunting.

Lately, I have been picking up more and more freelance work and have been wondering if it makes financial sense to incorporate and start folding all my freelance stuff into a new business. My larger overall plan I have estimated will require at least $20,000 in start up capital to get off the ground.

I'm basically seeking any advice on where to begin. Where can I find good information? Who should I talk too? Are there business consultants who can answer these kinds of questions? Should I speak with an accountant or a financial advisor?

I figure the local sba office is probably a good place to start and I'll probably be looking into that soon. But any advice you guys have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments