WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How do you balance work and life?

FatjonaBerishaFatjonaBerisha subscriber Posts: 15
edited October 2016 in Public Relations
Great Tech article to read from Forbes- How do you balance work and life?Innovative social and collaboration platform Solaborate which lets you do both. Sign up today for free www.solaborate.com and experience yourself!http://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2013/12 ... solborate/

Comments

• MomentrepreneurMomentrepreneur subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    Hello,

Balancing work, family and all the other obstacles in your life is an art in itself. Over the past decade I have built successful businesses while being a stay at home mom - aka momentrepreneur. I belive it is possible to acquirei the ability to balance it all, and to have it all, and it is within every women's reach. I have developed a comprehensive FREE 6DAY workshop to help assist other mothers become successful momentrepreneurs. www.themomentrepreneurs.com

Enjoy the journey
    Peace, Love and Success
  • HariSuryanarayamaHariSuryanarayama subscriber Posts: 0
    We should build downtime into our schedule. We should make balance in both work and life.We have to remember that a little relaxation goes a long way.
  • snmlsnml subscriber Posts: 0
    <blockquote><strong><a href="/community/profile/HariSuryanarayama">HariSuryanarayama</a> said:</strong><br />We should build downtime into our schedule. We should make balance in both work and life.We have to remember that a little relaxation goes a long way.</blockquote><br />

I agree, people are also much more effective at what they do if they are not tired.
  • MirandaShawMirandaShaw subscriber Posts: 0
    Balancing work and life is a serious matter. There was a tip (cannot remember the source providing) suggesting 8-8-8 rule: working, social life and sleep.
    It is hard to manage that but it is an opportunity to try it out.

---
    Miranda Shaw
    http://buildersinharrow.co.uk
  • AstinXNAstinXN subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Yep this is a big one, but when you operate a small business sometimes it's impossible to get away from it all. Just a few days ago Office Depot released a survey that found 76% of small business owners stay connected to work even while on vacation. http://news.officedepot.com/press-relea ... siness-own

I understand why -- when you're invested in so many aspects of running your business, it becomes impossible to keep it going when you're not involved. But if you're trying to run a business, you should be at least partly ready to make work your life...
  • TinaEVTinaEV subscriber Posts: 1
    Do other activities that you want to do aside from working, take some rest. No matter how many suggestions you got, At the end of the day, It still depend on you on how you are going to balance it.
  • JohnReese87JohnReese87 subscriber Posts: 0
    Drugs
    P.S. I suggest you see "Limitless" starring Bradley Cooper.
  • LeilaDowneyLeilaDowney subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I have read this one. Great article. Also some sources suggested doing a 8-8-8 model (work-social life-sleep), but it is all quite challangeing to put fixed frames.
  • tinbugtootinbugtoo subscriber Posts: 12 Bronze Level Member
    First I've heard of the 8-8-8 model. Very interested. Thanks for mentioning it :D
  • kshifterskshifters subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    This would vary depending on a persons lifestyle. It would be definitely different from someone who is married to someone and to someone who has a kid. It would also vary depending on what personality you have. It would be a good idea to first understand what you're threshold is and shape your work on that. Another thing to think about is what is life for you. Work that is draining life out of you is work probably not worth pursuing. We believe that life should always be above work. This is definitely true as a business owner.

In a startup, balancing work and life is difficult especially if you are doing the work all on your own. If you can't seem to find your balance and feel like work is overpowering your life, then you are probably doing a ton of work. You might need to hire someone else to do other work for you. It would be a good idea to adjust your timeline, your timeline might not be realistic enough to your companies capabilities.
    Shift your focus on what really matters
    Nico Hipol | General Manager

www.keyshifters.com
  • Startups4lifeStartups4life subscriber Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for sharing, I love the idea of 8-8-8 it's just hard to implement I find... hard to really draw a line and say I'm going to stick to this. Also, at corporations getting culture buy in for this would be very challenging I think. None the less, something we should aspire to I think
  • Jeff MarlonJeff Marlon subscriber Posts: 71 Bronze Level Member
    Work is important to spend money on survival and so its also important to maintain other activities in life other than work. It makes you fresh and healthy through out your life and hence help you to provide maximum potential in your life.
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Here are five approaches to convey somewhat more adjust to your day by day schedule:
    1.Incorporate downtime with your timetable. ...
    2.Drop exercises that sap your time or vitality. ...
    3.Reconsider your errands. ...
    4.Get moving. ...
    5.Keep in mind that a little unwinding goes far.
  • McCandlessMcCandless subscriber Posts: 52 Bronze Level Member
    Your work is sitting on your life. So, if your life is shaky, your work will be shaky. How do you fix your life when it has become complex?

Subtract things you want and see how it changes what you want to do and how you can add work to it. I subtracted Facebook in my life for example and the time I got with it - I built something cool. I am more contended about my life and my work.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Well said, @McCandless! Social media is an especially distracting medium, though its business potential often makes it worth using. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC