WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to build a website for your small business

arcarmarcarm subscriber Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2016 in Building A Website That Works

Comments

• davesemporium77davesemporium77 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    One effective option for small businesses is a WordPress based website platform.

Advantages:
    1. Easy to build yourself
    2. Tons of developers with Wordpress experience if you prefer to outsource it.
    3. Instant online presence through its' built-in blog feature
    4. Lots of prebuilt designs (themes) to chose from
    5. A wide range of apps which can added to the site as required.
    6. Modern themes are Mobile friendly

Regards,
    David.
  • GavinGavin subscriber Posts: 0
    Is it better to make a site on paid ".com" domain or on free website builder like "Weebly"?
  • MattBennettMattBennett subscriber Posts: 0
    <blockquote><strong><a href="/community/profile/Gavin">Gavin</a> said:</strong><br />Is it better to make a site on paid &quot;.com&quot; domain or on free website builder like &quot;Weebly&quot;? </blockquote><br />

It all depend on what your personal or business goals are. The free options are great if you need something small, but getting a domain name, let's you start small and allows your site to grow as your business grows.
  • matthmatth subscriber Posts: 2
    I think what is more important is content. Highly targeted content which addresses the exact needs of your target market will more likely to bring more results. Web design is just a medium to communicate. Whether you use a free package, build on Wordpress or build a custom site end of the day for it to work content needs to be solid.
  • GavinGavin subscriber Posts: 0
    Is it good choice to first build site on Weebly and then transfer it to paid domen later?
  • RendelMingRendelMing subscriber Posts: 1
    <blockquote><strong><a href="/community/profile/davesemporium77">davesemporium77</a> said:</strong><br />One effective option for small businesses is a WordPress based website platform.

Advantages:
    1. Easy to build yourself
    2. Tons of developers with Wordpress experience if you prefer to outsource it.
    3. Instant online presence through its' built-in blog feature
    4. Lots of prebuilt designs (themes) to chose from
    5. A wide range of apps which can added to the site as required.
    6. Modern themes are Mobile friendly

Regards,
    David.</blockquote><br />

I definitely agree! Indeed, Wordpress is the easiest and a very user-friendly CMS platform whom you can build your website for your small business.
  • CentialCential subscriber Posts: 29 Bronze Level Member
    I use a pre-made templates for all my web sites. Frankly speaking it is very convinient and simple way to create a site.I prefer a Wordpress system.
  • addonsolutionsaddonsolutions subscriber Posts: 0
    Addon Solutions is leading web development company that provide development services in open source plateform like drupal , magento and also ecommerce solutions . if you looking forward to make a website visit us @ http://www.addonsolutions.com/web-appli ... pment.html
  • Rohit_webGuyRohit_webGuy subscriber Posts: 12
    If you are familiar with HTML and CSS then you can think about DIY type website builder or even free website providers. But as a web designer, I know that this kind of DIY type websites doesn't look professional and as they use predefined templates, they are not unique also. I think the best and affordable way to get a promising website for your small business is to search on google and have some time to tally different web design service providers to find out which one suits you most. Discuss your project with them, bargain your requirements and let the professionals develop your website. It will be much more effective and will create a better impression to visitors.
  • harryventharryvent subscriber Posts: 48 Bronze Level Member
    If you are familiar with web technology then design your own website otherwise go with any web designers. There are plenty of sources available in online. Through this easily create new website.
  • min_harpermin_harper subscriber Posts: 9
    If you're seeking simplicity and speed, and are not too worried about SEO and customization, Squarespace and Wix are good options. You can get an attractive website up very quickly with their drag and drop templates.

Personally if you care at all about the ability to customize in the future, as well as SEO performance, I would highly, highly recommend Wordpress. Just find an attractive theme and go from there. If you pick a popular, paid theme, there will be support forums to answer almost all of the questions you have. There's a reason Wordpress is far and away the most popular Content Management System on the internet.
    Harper Partners offers receivables financing for startups and small businesses across many industries.
  • ashsummerashsummer subscriber Posts: 33 Bronze Level Member
    I've recently completed setting up my own website for my real estate agency. Being absolutely inexperienced in coding, I picked one of the professionally designed WordPress real estate themes and customized it according to my needs. It was easier than I thought.
  • webdesigner24x7webdesigner24x7 subscriber Posts: 4
    It is easy to manage and even set it up, however I always recommend you to pick up a good professional in order to build a high quality website for any business or company. Wordpress is always the best choice. Joomla is also a powerful system. I would recommend to avoid other cms as they are less powerful and updated. As for the e-commerce I would recommend Wordpress + WooCommerce without any doubt. A startup or company will succeed and will boost its ranking positions at Google. ;)
    :arrow: Yolanda Granados | Freelancer Web Designer & Developer
  • Junk Removal KingJunk Removal King subscriber Posts: 1
    I have used wordpress and weebly. I must say that weebly is extremely easy to use and very intuitive. I would highly recommend it for those that don't have experience with wordpress.

While wordpress is relatively easy to use as well, there are certain plugins and updates that you must manually do and sometimes the updates don't always work with the version of wordpress you are using.

Weebly offers alot of flexibility and you can create a great looking site relatively quickly. Very easy to update content and create new posts. Simply drag and drop.

That is what our current site is built on and we are happy how it turned out.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Affordable San Diego Junk Hauling and E-Waste Disposal Services
  • CaseyOCaseyO subscriber Posts: 34 Bronze Level Member
    edited February 2017
    I guess, the easiest way to build a website is to use a website builder. I have tried some of them so far, and the best one for me is Webstarts. It is a great free tool for such a purpose. I can totally recommend it to you too