WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Free logos. Would you use them?

web2printweb2print subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Marketing
I`d like to know opinions from members of this online community.Would you use a logo made from a template if it was free or would you still pay a few hundred dollars for a unique one?This website has a small collection of free logo templates. Some are good, some are bad. Would you use any of them?http://zetaprints.com/?page=designs;Keywords=LogoThey are free logos, help yourself.Cheers,Matt
web2print2007-10-30 7:21:26

Comments

• LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    The problem with using a template logo is that you may not be the only one using the image - which could lead to consumer confusion with the use of a none unique identity for your business.Several years ago I had a client come to me to have their logo - and all marketing materials - redesigned because another business (in a different industry) in the local market was using the exact same graphic for their business logo.  Their effort to go "cheap" on their logo resulted in a costly venture in recreating and reprinting signage, letterhead, brochures, ads and more. It is best to have a unique image, designed to reflect the specific personality of your business, that you can trademark as your own.- J.
  • fusioninteractivefusioninteractive subscriber Posts: 2
    The other problem with free logos is that they are not me.  I found a company that said they would make up 4 logo designs for me for free and once I chose one I would then pay.  Even those logos did not even come close to capturing my companies identity.  I agree with LogoMotives in that the use of a logo should be used to help identify your business.  Nike, Apple, BMW and others have spent millions upon millions to associate their logo with their products and their company.  If you purchase a new Mac or iPod you get two stickers of the Apple logo in the box -- pushing the identity of the logo.  Free logos typically don`t relate to the very well to ones business especially when you have a very definitive idea of the message you are trying to send (as in my case).
    fusioninteractive2007-10-30 11:0:38
  • web2printweb2print subscriber Posts: 1
    Good points The story about someone using your logo is quite a valid one. The reason of someone using the same logo in the same geographical area is likely to be either: - the designer just reused the logo made for another customer, which a lot of designers do, to some extent; or - the customer came to the designer, showed someone`s else logo and asked for the same or similar
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Good points The story about someone using your logo is quite a valid one. The reason of someone using the same logo in the same geographical area is likely to be either: - the designer just reused the logo made for another customer, which a lot of designers do, to some extent; or - the customer came to the designer, showed someone`s else logo and asked for the same or similar
    While the two scenarios you suggested do happen occasionally - and such situations usually separate the truly professional designer from the total hack - what happens more often is a business owner going to an online resource for a freebie (or cheap) logo from a menu of selections without giving any consideration to the fact that other business owners are doing exactly the same. It is a case of getting exactly what they pay for...Your thread kind of hits on the issue of "spec," or speculative, work by a designer a bit.  Professional organizations, and designers, around the world are discouraging others in the industry from creating design work on speculation in hopes that someone might later opt to purchase the work. Part of the truly successful design process in the direct interaction between designer and client in creating a unique and specific solution to a client`s needs.  You can read much more about the topic on the NO!SPEC website.- J.LogoMotives2007-10-30 16:26:46
  • web2printweb2print subscriber Posts: 1
    Here is an observation for you - all responses to my original question were posted by designers and consultants, not small businesses I really appreciate your opinions, but someone starting a small local business may not thing the same as you, as JSondy illustrated.A good personal service to create a logo would cost $200 +. Not everyone wants to invest that amount in a pretty picture, no matter what you say. In regard to NoSpec, you really miss the mark.ZetaPrints can be used as a little passive money maker using discarded designs.How many variations do you make for a customer? I hope more than one. What do you do with the rest? You chuck them out. Takes 5 minutes to convert your design to a template and upload to ZetaPrints. Let others use your creations. Matt
  • RemipubRemipub subscriber Posts: 3
    Let`s not confuse logos with graphics.  A logo is intended to be a visual image that mentally connects the viewer with your company.  It doesn`t have to describe the company or be anything complex.  The goal is simple - someone sees your logo and thinks "Oh, that`s ABC Company."  With that in mind, a logo should be unique to your company.

A company can exist without a logo ... many small companies put a graphic on their business cards to illustrate their industry.  This too is a good idea, but it`s not a logo. 

So in response to the initial subject, in my opinion a source for free graphics is fine and dandy - as long as the graphics are used appropriately.  Free logos - I don`t think so.

• dominoesrulesdominoesrules subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree with LogoMotives in that the use of a logo should be used to help identify your business.
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Logo is a sign, and it is a sign of every businesses, without this branding you have no business to operates. So, the importance of business logo plays a profund role specially in marketing, along with business logo, you also need to have other print materials for your business which these logo can be seen aside from other marketing medium. In prints, you can see http://www.digiteksf.com/poster-prints/ if you wanted to have other marketing modules.
  • JaneAndersenJaneAndersen subscriber Posts: 0
    I prefer unique logo for my business. This shows that you are serious in what you do.
  • outdoorjimoutdoorjim subscriber Posts: 0
    You can get great looking logos done on elance for next to nothing. I wouldn't bother with a "free" one - there must be a catch
  • JLevittJLevitt subscriber Posts: 0
    My experience is that you really get what you pay for. If the logo is for a side project, a free/low-cost option is probably fine. If the logo will be seen my thousands of potential customers, you probably should invest in professional work.

A great value is 99designs.com. $300 on the low end and you'll get great work (money-back guarantee).

Regardless, you should always obtain the rights to the work and an editable file (not JPG).
  • GrigoriouGrigoriou subscriber Posts: 0
    A good logo should cost you at least $250. and thats the bare minimum. average should be closer to $400. How can a real designer live, eat and build their business for any less than that realistically?

here are some good tips to keep in mind in order to get the most for your logo dollar:

-free or nearly free sites like fivrr rely on amateur and young designers with little to no experience. keep in mind what their cost of living must be to able to offer services for free. Can you afford to have a kid designing your logo?

-if your business is a hobby or a very distant dream, sure, go the free route, for now, but keep in mind that your business wont be taken nearly as seriously with a free logo.

-elance, 99designs and other contest crowdsource solutions are good to see multiple designs to choose from in short order, but crowdsourcing relies on many workers who will usually not be paid for showing you their work. Ask yourself how much time you will really have devoted to your project in this scenario. contests and crowdsourcing is very hit and miss because the typical designer must enter dozens of contest a day in order to win "prizemoney" with any kind of regularity.

-your fastest and most reliable track to a really professional, design firm quality mark is to hire a mid teir pro using sites like logopond.com, www.logoturn.com or www.dribbble.com

These sites are frequented by the best freelance designers in the world who usually work in the 300-1000 range.

- if you dont have the time for to hire a pro, consider buying a ready made logo from a high quality designer. these are high end designs you can buy and have customized immediately. Priced start in the 200s and top out at around 500.

your best bets here are :

http://www.logoturn.com
    http://www.stocklogos.com
    www.brandcrowd.com

Good luck!
    -Greg