WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Quality of programming in freelancing sites?

ClickStackerClickStacker subscriber Posts: 1
TL;DR: If I get a pretty complicated website software to prototype using relatively cheap ruby programmers from a site like freelancer.com, would it take a lot of re-work once I get a US based staff? Would this be a waste of time/money?

Hey everyone - my first post. I have a concept/design for a website SaaS in the internet marketing realm and have very some but not a lot of programming skills. I've been told this website would be best suited for ruby on rails. It will need a lot of interaction with APIs and social networks, and some pretty complex stuff, for example creating an email marketing service similar to aweber or mailchimp.. Quite ambitious I know.

I'd really like to get started now with some cash I have, get to a prototype stage, and then try and look for a CTO/Co-founder.

Comments

• RobCarrRobCarr subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi. I think it would be a big waste of time. If someone is doing things the wrong way, the entire project will need to be reworked. Also, I think the longer you work with a team, the more they understand the product, and your goals.

The company I run (http://www.myprogrammer.com) works with a lot of startups, and it takes time to get to know them, and really understand the way the software product should work.

We are a hybrid, meaning we are a combination of onshore (US) and offshore (India) employees, with the benefit being lower rates, with US level service.

Anyway, the best thing to do is find a good team and spend the money once. It's an investment in software, and the team you choose to partner with.