WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Improving someone's invention

bebebebe subscriber Posts: 8 Member
edited November 2014 in Developing Your Invention
Hi, All, I use this company's multiple item for long time which is on the market, but one of the item needs improvement so that the mass can have choices. I can image my improved product will be a great alternative for the customers and it is good for the company also because the customers still have to buy the company's other products to go with it. so the question is can I patent their improved version of item and produce then put it out on the market or I have to go to the company directly with the prototype and talk to them. please help.

Comments

• Options
    AriannaPhillipsAriannaPhillips subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    Of course you can. In fact, most granted patents in an invention are improvement patents. In an improvement patent you must add something to an existing product, find technology that will be incorporated to the old one or find a new use of the existing invention.