WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Financing a Business Acquisition

COJOECOJOE subscriber Posts: 7
I am having a bit of a time getting my mind around a new business acquisition.  What is rule of thumb for amount of capital to put down on an existing business? Owner is willing to finance over 5+ years at very competitive rate and I do have capital available.
 What is the typical amount of time one should be willing or able to finance and how much should one expect to pull out of the business at the end of the day (take care of fixed expenses at home).  I want to make sure I cover my debt I incur, cover debt needs, and take care of fixed expenses at home as my salary will be taking a hit.
Any guidelines......

Comments

• jeremylorinojeremylorino subscriber Posts: 0
    It`s hard to put arbitrary limits on business because it`s more about feeling out a situation and weighing it to past experiences. The time you want to stay in a business is determined by what the business and the market does. Your entrance, lifespan, and exit all depend on the variables you inquire about.

As for capital withdraw, I try to keep most of my capital in the business so I can shelter it against taxes. If I want buy a nice car I start an exotic car rental service. When I buy my yacht I will start a charter service.

I always try to be the most efficient with my money. I have a real hard time just taking out a fixed amount of money. It really depends on your company. Of course you need to eat pay yourself that, but when it comes to luxuries be conservative because there are ways to make money on your fun and happiness.
  • daleyfla99daleyfla99 subscriber Posts: 1
    Jeremy makes some good points.  The amount of capital you put into the business is based on it`s worth and what you are buying.  For a service business, no more than 20% down is fair.  For a business with assets, you are actually buying the tangible assets, the goodwill of the business  is the variable.  The owner obviously believes in the business, otherwise they would not be offering you terms.  5 years is reasonable depending on the type of business.

Examine the statements of cash flows for the business to determine what is a reasonable expectation for your take home.  See if it flows enough to support a salary to you after all expenses are paid.  Keep your leverage to a minimum, and do a projection of what you can expect from the business if it stays the same, grows, or declines by 30%.  If all the numbers work with a 30% haircut you can safely participate in the business.  If the numbers do not work at a 30% decline, know that you may have to put additional monies into the business, which will be coming from YOU not the former owner.  Identify where those monies will come from in case you need them.

Also look at the current owner`s situation, why are they selling?  Retiring, relocating, cashing out? 

Do your homework.  Pay a consultant if you have to. 

• mahendra07mahendra07 subscriber Posts: 19 Bronze Level Member
    Dear Sir/Ma
    I write to introduce our financial services to you. I am a direct mandate to a Financial Institution who is also known as private lender specialized in the Lease and Sales of Bank / Financial Instruments in the form of Bank Guarantees (BG), Standby Letter of Credit (SBLC), Documentary Letter of Credit (DLC), Letter of Credit (LC), Performance Bonds (PB), Medium Term Notes (MTN) et al with funds is purely earned from private and corporate investment portfolios without criminal origin.
    We offer these from a genuine and certifiable finance company as the provider hence we are able finance your signatory projects and help you enhance your business plan. Furthermore, our financial instrument can be used for the purchase of goods from any manufacturer irrespective of their location. It can also serve as collateral with any bank in the world to secure loans for your project or to activate credit line to finance your business plan.
    Our financial instrument can be invested into High Yield Investment Trading Program {HYITP) or Private Placement Program (PPP). All bank instruments are for lease and/or sale from a genuine and reliable source without broker chain / joker broker story or chauffer driven offer while having your required time frame in mind.
    We specialized in Bank Guarantee {BG}, Standby Letter of Credit {SBLC}, Medium Term Notes {MTN}, Confirmable Bank Draft {CBD} as well as other financial instruments issued from AAA Rated bank such as HSBC Bank Hong Kong, HSBC Bank London, Deutsche Bank AG Frankfurt, Barclays Bank , Standard Chartered Bank and others on lease at the lowest available rates depending on the face value of the instrument needed.
    We will be glad to share our working procedures with you upon request to help us proceed towards closing deals effectively.
    Thank You
    Contact : Mr. Mahendra JainEmail : Jaindrabglease7@gmail.comSkype ID: Jaindra.bglease
  • ShawnNelsonShawnNelson subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello,

We are Christian Organization formed to help people in needs of helps,such as financial help.So if you are going through financial difficulty or you are in any financial mess,and you need funds to start up your own business,or you need loan to settle your debt or pay off your bills,start a nice business, or you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks,contact us today via email today for such help (loans, start up money): robertshnelson@gmail.com for the bible says""Luke 11:10 Everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened"so do not let these opportunity pass you by because Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever more. Please this is only for a serious minded and God fearing people in financial hardship and want to find their way out.

You are advise to fill and return the details below..

Your Name:______________________
    Your Address:____________________
    Your Country:____________________
    Your Occupation:__________________
    Loan Amount Needed:______________
    Loan Duration:____________________
    Monthly Income:__________________
    Cell phone Number:________________
    Have you applied for a loan before: ________________
    If you have applied for a loan before, where you treated honestly? where are the company located?...

Act fast and get out of financial stress, mess and hardship by contacting ROBERT SHAWN NELSON Loan Corporation Today via Email at: robertshnelson@gmail.com .You shall be treated with the best of our resources until you get this funds transferred into your account, and your quick and fast respond determines how fast you shall be receiving your loan. Without any delay Apply for your best and easy Loan here with us. Please email to us via

email: robertshnelson@gmail.com
    Best Regards
    Mr. Robert Shawn Nelson
  • edward222edward222 subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi There, I Posted a thread that can answer your question.. http://www.startupnation.com/community/ ... t_id/90710

Hope that post will help.. thanks.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member

When applying for a business loan, it's essential to prepare a detailed business plan and fully inform the lender about your proposed venture. This information helps the lender to provide you with the right type of finance and advice.

1. Find the right loan. Choose a type of business loan based on your needs.
    2. Find the best lender for you.
    3. See if you have what it takes to qualify. .
    4. Get your documents ready and apply