WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Dress in a costume for advertising?

ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
edited April 2014 in Marketing
If I owned a restaurant do you think it would be a good idea to hire someone to stand outside my restaurant that will be dressed up in a funny costume holding a sign advertising my lunch special? I think it might draw attention. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    LtresselLtressel subscriber Posts: 3
    It`s a sticky factor, Nhgnikole.  You now know, that the guy dressed as the Statue of Liberty is the "tax" place.  You don`t have to go there to get your taxes done BUT---it`s created brand awareness and later on they will establish brand recognition.PRODIGY (sorry for the caps),  if your are to use the guy with a funny costume-make sure that you will  be consistent with the "character."  If you are a seafood place (for example) and choose to do a lobster or a crab mascot-give him a name that recognizes your restaurant.This will be an association of a character to the business or product.  Kinda like Tony the Tiger or Chester Cheetah or best of all Ronald McDonald.I hope this makes sense.  Good luck if you choose to continue the strategy.LT
    Ltressel2007-9-29 14:57:30
  • Options
    DGoodinDGoodin subscriber Posts: 6
    To tell the truth, the first thing I think when I see the mascot standing on the street trying to drum up business, is how sorry I feel for the poor sap trying to make a living wearing a costume for minimum wage.
    This approach appears too "gimicky" for my tastes.
    There`s a difference between "Ron the Don" making an appearance at a birthday party for 8 year olds in the restaurant, and a giant crab flailing away on a street corner.
    It seems degrading to me, but that`s just my opinion.
  • Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    I still wouldn`t go there. Or to Little Caesars pizza, who hires some really creepy guys to stand on the corner that I have to get past with my stroller.
    Ahhhh...Nikole. You`re missing out on some great pizza!
    Dale King
  • Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    LOL Nikole....i can just picture that guy with the 5.00 sign in your way on the sidewalk. Little Ceasars, my husband likes those 5.00 pizzas! We have a Liberty Tax Statue of Liberty Mascot that runs out on one of our main roads..i do always think.."what is she thinking", "this can`t be fun". Then we have the car wash fundraisers with those poor 12-14 year old girls in bikini tops.....where are there parents? Anyway, it works inside for Chucky Cheese...at a buffet we are dragged to by my husbands parents they have "buzzy bee" and he is creepy and hiscostume needs to be dry cleaned desperately, it looks like it has the buffet all over it..YUCK! I personally try to run from these folks...maybe I am afraid of folks hiding behind a costume?? It works for Disney...so maybe it can work for you..but don`t get in front of a woman with a stroller.
    Erin
  • Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    They now have that advertising company called "Arrow Advertising" and they dance around the streets pointing, juggling, throwing or dancing around with an large arrow with your company name on it. I guess it works , maybe they took the arrow idea from the Britts...much like we do with tv shows.
    Erin
  • Options
    ficiyanimillsowficiyanimillsow subscriber Posts: 0
    HI
    I LIKE VERIOUS COSTUMES
    make money
  • Options
    costumesguycostumesguy subscriber Posts: 0
    Over here in the UK, the costumes thing is everywhere. If you go out to a mid-priced restaurant its usually fullof younger folk wearing costumes on a theme.Mainly women having a good time celerbating a hen night.Sometimes on the street outside, they head towards you with a collecting can.
    I usually pay up.
    They get kitted out locally at http://www.celebrationcostumes.com
  • Options
    AberitAberit subscriber Posts: 64 Bronze Level Member
    It can work but not for each company. It's definitely a good solution when our target group is kids. However, it can give more harm than good when the company's profile is connected with security and seriousness.
  • Options
    Rick48CMRick48CM subscriber Posts: 2
    Dressing in a costume works for getting attention, but I can't think of a time it's caused me to respond to the particular business. Where I'm from it's mostly pizza and tax businesses. or car wash fundraisers. I guess that's the point, it does draw attention, but how much does business increase on the day you use someone dressed up, or the next day?

+ I do feel bad when I see someone on a hot day in a full blown mascot costume. It's sad.