WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Mistakes To Avoid In Web Design

metataggvpmetataggvp subscriber Posts: 1
edited November 2013 in Building A Website That Works
Hello All,
Designing a website is indeed the challenging task. Small mistakes can ruin your efforts and time if you don't care about it. Web design mistakes are not just including its look but other things which should be considered. Here are some of the prime focuses you to pay enough attention on.
1. Lack of Detail
2. Distracting Background
3. No Color Balance
4. Using Emboss and Bevel Techniques
5. To Much Design
6. Design Is Mismatching
7. Using Uncle Bob's Time Design
8. Design Should Be Subjective
9. More White Spaces in Content
10. Design Decision Makers Are Busy

Comments

• Infoway-LLCInfoway-LLC subscriber Posts: 0
    Few more mistakes I would like to add. They are:
    Poor navigation tools.
    Crowded images and content
  • simonashawnsimonashawn subscriber Posts: 0
    There should not be any broken links on your site. Links that do not work can be a big annoying factor. So is a cluttered design. Your website should be easy to navigate. If the visitor feels lost or confused he is likely to close your site and move on to another. Hence it is very important to talk to experts like Big Raja[/a] while planning your website.
  • CoreListCoreList subscriber Posts: 0
    I would like to add - 
    Paying too much attention (and money) to design and not enought on getting traffic to your website. You are better off being the average looking kid in school, with lots of friend, than the pretty looking kid with none.......

Regards
    John
    Core List USA 
  • AcelloriaAcelloria subscriber Posts: 1
    I've seen many websites use too much Javascript which discourages people from using their sites. Why? Well if you go on any site that needs Javascript to function, if you don't have an updated version on your computer/browser, you will be prompted to download it before you can view the content. So instead of the client viewing information of your business and contacting, you they are trying to figure out how to use an essential part of your site before giving up and going to a competitor.

This is the same for sites that have lots of Flash content. Now, JQuery coding has replaced a lot of flash animations, but I still see sites that stop working if the user doesn't have the right updated versions or simply a browser/device that supports the fancy Flash graphics. 

Now sticking to minimal coding, html5, css3, Ruby, Php with cleaner coding will help not only users but search engines index your site. 

Cheers,

Alena Cheina
    President, Acelloria | [url=mailto:%20alena@acelloria.com%20]Contact Me[/url]

• SmithJohnesSmithJohnes subscriber Posts: 48 Bronze Level Member

A well-designed website can help you form a good impression on your prospective customers. It can also help you nurture your leads and get more conversions. But, more importantly, it provides good user experience and helps your website visitors access and navigate your website with ease.

• kanikabugraptorskanikabugraptors subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member

Thanks for all the information. I would like to add the idea of testing into this. Since users these days have access to different device configurations, browsers, and operating systems, I believe web design testing helps people to work on creating a more pleasing user experience.  

Therefore, it is necessary that testers should focus at Usability, Functionality, UX, Performance, and Compatibility when working on a web design. And skipping on these parameters not only restricts the scope of web design but even increases the chance of losing all the conversions.