WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Is it possible to do both

vooskivooski subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in New Member Welcome
Hi,
I have a small business that I really haven`t given my all to but I don`t want to let it go.  I was thinking about going to nursing school because there is a security in working a 9to5 and I would have my small business on the side.  I`m really torn because though I want to pursue my business, I want a sense of security.  Can anyone help?

Torn

Comments

• vooskivooski subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the response Stan,

My business is more important but I was going by the old adage "Always have a b-plan."  I`m not necessarily sure that I want to become a nurse but I was trying to fall back on something solid just in case.

vooski
  • LiveWiseLiveWise subscriber Posts: 5
    Nursing is a great field.  I was a dental hygienist.  The hygiene job allowed me to pay the bills while I pursue what I really wanted...working for myself.  I wouldn`t be where I am without hygiene.  The flexibility, pay, and security are worth it.  But don`t give up on your dreams!
  • bar70pbar70p subscriber Posts: 0

Hello from barati
    Hello i am  barati parinaz  a citizen of iranian/canadian  and  i am 37 years old  woman. 
    I saw your profile and i am very happy to chat and discuss much with you regarding your country.
    i am planing to re-locate to your country and i will need your assistances to be my guardian and direct me upon my arrival to your country.
    please kindly reply me and give me direction regarding your country.
    id is: [url=mailto:barat1284parinaz@yahoo]barat1284parinaz@yahoo[/url]  ca  so we can discuss more and to enable me send you  more details about me.
    Barati.
  • bar70pbar70p subscriber Posts: 0

Hello from barati
    Hello i am  barati parinaz  a citizen of iranian/canadian  and  i am 37 years old  woman. 
    I saw your profile and i am very happy to chat and discuss much with you regarding your country.
    i am planing to re-locate to your country and i will need your assistances to be my guardian and direct me upon my arrival to your country.
    please kindly reply me and give me direction regarding your country.
    id is: [url=mailto:barat1284parinaz@yahoo]barat1284parinaz@yahoo[/url]  ca  so we can discuss more and to enable me send you  more details about me.
    Barati.
  • zwrdlzwrdl subscriber Posts: 0
    You`re making a couple of incorrect assumptions about nursing, perhaps the most critical one being that nursing is a nine to five job.  It is not.  If you want to work an eight hour shift, you can usually work 7A to 3P, 3P to 11P, or 11P to 7A.  If you do this as a staff nurse for an institution or a visiting nurse agency, you will have to do it five days a week to get benefits.  The alternatives are working 12 hour shifts (7-7 usually) three days a week.
    Another option is to work part time, or what is called per diem nursing, but to do that you generally need at least one year of full time experience and you will generally receive no benefits as a per diem nurse.  There is plenty of opportunity for overtime, and you can work 60 hours a week if you want to. (Usually you are limited to that.  I`ve known nurses who have held two full time positions in two different institutions, but frankly I thought they were a danger to their patients for being that stressed.)
    Nursing is an underpaid, extremely demanding profession.  Due to the nursing shortages the work is often done on an understaffed unit.  Before you go into nursing, you should speak with a good number of nurses, since in my experience, most nursing students and  prospective nursing students, have a very flawed idea of what the actual duties of a nurse entail.  Please, please, please do research on this.  If you have a specialty in mind, check that out as well.
    Nursing school is not easy, but the classes are no harder than basic college courses.  It can be done part time.  Oddly enough, the difference in pay between a nurse with an associate degree (2 years) and one with a bachelor`s degree (4 years) is not all that great.  Experience counts more than degree in the nursing world. ADN degrees are often offered  by community colleges, so you can attend classes in the evenings.
    I`ve been an RN (with an AD degree) for about 17 years,  worked medical-surgical for a year in DC General Hospital and then worked ER for most of my career as a staff nurse and as a per diem nurse in major inner city hospitals.  I`ve also been a psych nurse, home heath care nurse and now work as a hospice nurse in Florida, making home visits.
    I have a book published by a major house (I worked per diem while I was writing it, since I only wanted to work 24-32 hours per week)  and I ran a postcard collectibles business all the while I was in nursing.
    Good luck.
    Michael Zwerdling, RN
    www.nursepostcard.comzwrdl5/25/2008 8:23 PM
  • zwrdlzwrdl subscriber Posts: 0