WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website searches

TimothyTimothy subscriber Posts: 6
I have a website that I want to allow users to post written reviews on. Is there some way I can allow people to do this as well as search these reviews through some type of website search engine. I would only want people to be able to search specific information (the reviews) and nothing else on the site. Is there a program or service that does this that anyone could recommend.
Timothy

Comments

• TimothyTimothy subscriber Posts: 6
    I am in the process of building my own site. I have used databases and mysql, but don`t fully understand how they work. I am using a wysiwyg program to build to site (MS Web Expressions),so there is quite a bit that I don`t understand about how a website works. Because of this I was wondering if there is an already set up program, but if there are other ways to do it myself then I would give it a try. Would you happen to know of somewhere (a website or book) that could give help in doing this?
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    You might be able to accomplish what you want by using a blog (wordpress) program.
    You can have a search function that searches the "articles" of the blog.

~Roland
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Have you guys ever considered using Joomla 1.5? Joomla is an Open Source Content Management System that allows you to add content to your web site dynamically without having to create extra pages. It has a WYSIWIG editor in the administration side and adding posts and managing your post is as easy as 1,2,3.
    Joomla is a full CMS system in compare to Wordpress. With Joomla you can add a site search to your page with minimal effort.
  • TimothyTimothy subscriber Posts: 6
    Thanks for the help all. The program I am using to build my site is Microsoft`s Expression Web. I`ll need to do some more reading on the subject. Thanks abodi for listing some resources, I found one of the book that you mentioned that is available free online.
    Timothy
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    You might be able to implement Google search into your site. If you have php & mysql set up ( or even other scripting languages ), you could have a simple script written to search for only certain database areas for your results. Not that difficult to do, but I don`t use site builder programs, so not sure how easy it would be to implement it.Webline3/11/2008 10:19 AM
    Wordpress blog is a definitely beter than Joomla or any other external CMS. Wordpress is easier and comes with thousands of plug-ins that you can just literally switch-on to activate. Not to mention the vast advice and support available. To see an example check out my blog:-
    http://www.hershbhardwaj.co.uk/blog

Blog2hersh,
    I agree with you Wordpress is easier to use, if you`re a beginners and need a fast solution to getting your site up and running. It really doesn`t take much effort to download a template and to install it on your site.
    If you`re a more experienced developer you might even get your hands dirty and create your own templates.
    Joomla is only effective if you`re a good programmer and can manipulate the modules and Plug Ins. This is where you hire a professional Joomla Designer and developer to handle all your web site`s needs and plug-ins. Once you`ve accomplished that Joomla is much better [Robost] Content Management System.
    Currently, they just released Joomla 1.5 and most of the plug-ins and modules were written for 1.xxx. Which is the predecessor to 1.5. But you can still use Joomla 1.1xx modules on 1.5 by turning on your legacy modules installation in Settings.
    I`ve been working in Joomla for quite some time and if you ask me what do I prefer.. Well, I would go with Joomla.
    Joomla 1.5 is still rather buggy and doesn`t have many compatible extensions quite yet.  However, Joomla 1.0.x is fabulous for all kinds of sites and I highly recommend it if you want to have control over your own site.  With Joomla, adding all kinds of functionality is possible - without hiring a programmer - even ecommerce.

You can still use the old Joomla Plugins which where also known as mambots, by turning on your legacy compatability. Once you do that, you`re good to go.