WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Feedback on grant/funding coaches

pammycpammyc subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2007 in Startup Funding
I am looking to start an educational consultancy and have been looking for grants to fund my start-up.  I have been talking to a company that provides coaching services for securing funds for a business.  They guarantee that they will work with you until you receive the funds you need.  They want to charge approx. $8,500.  My question is, has anyone had any experience with this type of coaching--is it a ripoff?  Is is worthwhile?  If not, can anyone offer suggestions for grants or any other funding for starting a for-profit education consultancy?

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Obtaining a grant is dependent on many factors - not the least of which is you and your idea. An experienced grant writer can help you prepare and submit a "proper" application - but no one can "guarantee" you will receive a grant.

• Options
    leespizzahouseleespizzahouse subscriber Posts: 3
    $8500 is a lot of money. I dont know how much money you are looking for, but I am using a company right now that garuantees getting you funding if you have a good fico score. I am still in the early stages with them. I also got approved for a SBA loan, but I am going with this company. Its more like business cash credit loans. Check out www.corporatecreditconcept.com</A>, and email Chad Lee. Say Lee Vang`s Business Management, LLC refer you. They are very professional althougth the funding does take awhile. I am going to the bank next week to try and get the funds (100-125k, unsecure line of cash credit). I`ll update everyone.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I am moving forward with my idea, and am very excited about it.  I appreciate the time you took to respond and help me make decisions to benefit my business.
  • Options
    No, by moving forward I meant using my funds to start the business myself.  Of course we were skeptical of the entire "coaching" thing from the beginning, but wanted to hear other opinions out there.  I am very committed to making this work, and am working on other ways to obtain the funds I need.  Thanks again for your input.    
  • Options
    World2foryouWorld2foryou subscriber Posts: 1
    I am glad to hear your using your funds to start your business. I also would have been skeptical of the coaching??? thing???.  If you stay focused and keep the big guy upstairs involved it is sure to be a success. Always believe in your dreams and they WILL come true.My website my benefit you, it may not. If so call me and we can talk, otherwise I look forward to hearing of your success!
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
  • Options
    BishopBishop subscriber Posts: 0
    I am new to this form, and from what I have seen
    over the last few days has been a great eye opener. In short I purchased Grant
    Seeker Pro (guide to government grants), and I was told that I needed to retain
    a Grant writing coach for about $8,500 US dollars. After reading comments
    posted I have decided to raise the capital myself, and work on the grant portion
    myself. Thanks for your public commentary regarding your experiences. I hope to
    learn more hear.f anyone has any information about rising
    capital for for-profit origination, please let me know. I can go into grater
    details. Thank you in advance.  Bishop
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I was told that I needed to retain a Grant writing coach for about $8,500 US dollars. Bishop
    Believe me - there are professional grant writers who can /will help you for less. A grant writer can`t "guarantee" you will receive a grant - but a poorly done application will guarantee that you don`t.