WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

starting a small business

delliadellia subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2007 in Selecting a Business

hi,
I am planning to start up my own small business from home. I have known many friends and people who have started a business of their own, very few of them have succeeded. Could you please advise me on things to avoid so that my dream does not become another failure story?

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Hi Dellia and welcome!  You`ve already got some fantastic advice.  That ought to get you started!  Craig is right, one of the main reasons why business`s fail, UNDER CAPITALIZATION.   Nikole has linked you with fantastic reads and visit your local SBA, SBDC and SCORE.  All of these can be found at www.sba.gov</A>

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Options
    inovainova subscriber Posts: 0
    If you want to run a new business I would suggest to go for something unique and  little start up cost. Based on a survey in USA from 100 new business in 10 years only 1 survive, so I suggest start with something cheap, what do you think about domain investing?it`s cheap only a couple of dollars for investment and you can get more than that when people buy back from you.or website business, it`s cheap and you can run from your own home.PM me if you are interested in these kinds of business. Good luck with your business.< ="text/">// Begin Ad Muncher helper script
    ywzXso(1,"ywzTimeout(`enableDesignMode()`, 20);");
    // End Ad Muncher helper script

inova2007-6-17 13:33:14
  • Options
    roddersrodders subscriber Posts: 0
    hi,
    There are many things that you need to take into consideration which are applicable to all businesses, not just small ones. These include planning, strategic objectives, marketing, systems (computer and non computer), training, leadership etc. check out my blog at http://smallbusiness.blogfreehere.com/</A> for more detailed information.

good luck!
  • Options
    tldtimtldtim subscriber Posts: 0
    Spend as much time as you can developing your reasons for why you want to start a business and what the business will be. As others have said above you need to have a plan in order to be successful but first you need to know what it is you are going to do.And also, be sure that it is something that you are passionate about. Something you enjoy because you`ll be far more likely to be willing to see it to the end if you enjoy it.
  • Options
    ObsidianLaunchObsidianLaunch subscriber Posts: 7