WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

what do you think of this site?

winnowinno subscriber Posts: 4
edited September 2008 in Website Critique
I won`t tell you what it does, just have a look and tell me if you think it is effective?
www.raystay.com

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Easy to understand and uncluttered.
    3 suggestions.
    1) Improve the head area in your code. ( DOCTYPE, metas, etc. )
    2) I put in several cities which returned nothing. There was no message telling me there were no matches, or to refine my search terms, or anything else, so I`m not sure if nothing exists in those cities, or if I just need to type them in differently; if that was clearer, I`d know whether to keep looking or not.
    3) Just to cover your back, and your users, I really don`t see anything about safety issues. Staying in a hotel is one thing; total strangers in someones` home is another.
  • winnowinno subscriber Posts: 4
    thank you.
    The site has just been launched today, and there are only like 10 listings, so that`s why. Safety issues - I can`t do much about it. I`m going for the craigslist/ebay style approach, with a feedback system. 
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    To clarify .....
    Search - Even if there are no listings for a city, a message stating that would be helpful to users.
    Safety - If it were me, I would put a disclaimer in place .... let`s say that 2 of your site users set up a stayover, and something negative happens between them .... in a lawsuit-happy society, how do you know that you and your site won`t be dragged into any legal proceedings that may result? It may never happen, but might be something to consider in a Terms of Use agreement, just in case.
    Yeah, you are probably right about the search tip - hopefully I will get listings soon though. I don`t have too many ideas on how to market this - tried to slip it into a few relevant forums but the ol` mods didn`t like that too much About safety - When a traveler requests a booking, and the host confirms it, they both have to agree to a legal disclaimer.
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Two issues pop out at me.  First, your choice of text color; grey on white is hard to read.  Make the text darker.  Second, people expect to find the navigation on the top or left side of the page.  The bottom of the page isn`t obvious to most users.
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    These types of sites are popping up all over. I love the concept- just keep it leagl for eveyone and to cover yourself. Do you have a liability policy in place.. keep in mind there is an error and ommissions add on for web companies and can be costly. We just paid 14k for a site for the year. But it is worth it. I love the site and agree.. if no listing then saying something cute..that matches the smartness of your site! I hope you do great!!

Erin
  • vmgbpovmgbpo subscriber Posts: 1
    I like the fact the site is not crowded with information. The idea behind the site is interesting.
    But on this page
    http://www.raystay.com/why_raystay.php
    there are too many colors and its difficult to read the text. I would prefer the text in black.
    Ofcourse, any site is good only if there is "content"..so maybe you should focus on getting more listings on the site soon!
    Good luck!vmgbpo9/24/2008 1:53 AM
    Thanks Josh,
    how the hell do I get more listings? I have $0 to spend. Anywhere relevant you try to tell people, you get listed as spam and kicked out.