WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How do I go about writing a proposal

wildstormwildstorm subscriber Posts: 2
edited August 2007 in Public Relations
Does anyone on here know of any free websites or have suggestions on writing an effective proposal to a network television station. Here is a summary of the project that I`m currently involved in.For anyone that has or is living in Michigan, no doubt you have heard about the Top O Michigan Marathon Nationals Outboard boat race. For those that don`t know, this race is held every year in my hometown of Indian River, MI. This race has been going on since 1947. Its an 87 mile long race course and has been billed as the worlds toughest outboard boat race. We`ve had competitors from other countries participate in recent years. Anyways, what I`m trying to do is give this sport some recoginition. I want to write a proposal to the SpeedTV network in hopes that these guys will cover next years 60th anniversary Boat Race. I`ve never written a proposal before and I`m quite nervous about the whole thing... in a good way that is. I really want this to go through as this is my first time undertaking such a project and I really want to write a very effective proposal to present to the network executives. I`m currently planning on putting together a boat race promotional video for them to view as part of my presentation. If anyone who has any suggestions please post them. I`ve got less than a year to get this deal going and I`d like to at least have a proposal ready for the next boat race meeting.

Comments

• PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Hi Wildstorm,
    Good for you to move forward with this great idea! You may want to start by getting some local and industry-related media stories. This will help to build awareness and credibility for your future pitch to the television executives.
    And do your research. Find out what SpeedTV looks for, who the appropriate contact people are and why they will be interested in your story.
    Then, try calling the television executives directly to get more information on what they want and need. You`ll be able to save time, possibly create a working relationship and share your passion and excitement!
    Just my thoughts... I wish you all the best!
    Melanie
  • wildstormwildstorm subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tips Melanie. Hopefully this will be rewarding at the end. 
  • wildstormwildstorm subscriber Posts: 2
    Well I kinda sort of made a step in all this. I contacted are local news sports team on possibly covering next years race and to my amazement, I got a response saying that they would be interested in doing coverage on the race. Other people that are actually on the race commitee have tried to get a response from the local news people but I seem to be the only one thats actually gotten through. So at least thats going good. I did a minute and half video preview of the race. If anyone wants to look at it, just click the link below.http://youtube.com/watch?v=XuUSFc_L2EE
  • PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Congrats Wildstorm! That`s great! It sounds like your current story pitch is working. Keep that momentum and try to get some more media interest using the same method.
    Melanie