WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Look for Website Critique - Main Street Insider

aciafreaciafre subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2008 in Website Critique

Hi all,

I`m looking for opinions on my newly created site.  This site is being started as a sort of hobby of mine right now with plans in the future to have it become a full scale business.

The purpose of the site is to help individuals’ research stocks and provide personal finance/small business tips.  I do this by providing business news articles from small and medium sized newspapers from around the country.  I wanted to create a site that would allow the intended viewer to read a brief description of an article, then decide weather its worth their time to read it.

I hired a freelance web designer to help build the site.  I understand that the site could have more bells and whistles but at this time I’m trying to control cost.  I would also welcome suggestion that I could implement during the next phase of the site (when I actually get significant traffic and invest the ad revenue back into the site).

URL:  www.mainstreetinsider.com

Thank you for taking the time to look at the site.

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    I clicked the "Company" link, and the large ad on the left decided I needed to see some good looking women and "Meet someone naughty" .... definitely not what you want on this type of site.
  • aciafreaciafre subscriber Posts: 2
    Hey guys thanks for the replies.

First I`ll tackle the easy one. 

Webline,

I am working with Adbrite to get rid of all ads pertaining to Singles,Weapons and Marijuna, they have just recently popped up.  I definately don`t want those shown on the site.

Craig,

I really aprreciate the feed back!

- I agree the banner ads need changed, I wanted just text ads but somehow I ended up with the banner ads.  I will change this!

- Layout:  Do you like the 2 column box layoff or do you mean change everything?  I would like the site to look as simple as possible.  I`m assuming the line height you are talking about is the sentences in the article descriptions.

- Mission Statement:  I agree,  I`m thinking about putting a mission statement under my Main Street banner

-  Person Views:  I plan to put my personal views about certain articles and the overall stock market/economy under the Main Street News section.

Let me know what you think, thanks again.

Also, does anyone know of a good webhosting company and what I would need to do to make the change?  Thanks
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Craig and Webline have covered pretty much everything.  The ad on the left column is a distraction.  Maybe you could move them to the bottom, or do you really need them at all?
    I don`t know where you`re hosting now, but I have my sites at GoDaddy.com and I am very happy with them and their customer service.
    Maybe I`ll switch to a text only ad format that blends in with the site better.  I`ll check out godaddy.com as well.  Thanks Videography
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Also, does anyone know of a good webhosting company and what I would need to do to make the change?  Thanks

I also provide reasonable and reliable hosting  vwebworld.com

~Roland
  • BlutoBluto subscriber Posts: 1
    Agreed on the huge left side ad space. If you fill that thing up, I would just close the page, with-out reading anything. Big turn off for me. Although ads may be a source of income, you need to be discreet and not overwhelming with them.
    As for hosting, I don`t know what Wild West gives you but GoDaddy serves the purpose for most people with small sites.
    You have a forum attached though. If that forum starts getting a lot of use, you`ll start creating a lot of queries, and if there are images, videos or other attachments added, you`ll out-grow GoDaddy.
    You also have no control over your php.config either with them,... I believe. Someone correct me if I`m wrong.
    Personally, I use Dreamhost: http://www.dreamhost.com/ Unlimited domains, databases, email addy`s, ftp users and an almost unusable amount of disk space and bandwidth. Right now they`re offering unlimited space and bandwidth for a limited time.( See terms) I`m currently hosting 6 forum based sites and I`m not touching the bandwidth meter.
    There are others though. If you don`t like the idea of a shared server, then you have to look for dedicated.
    I also got an email about this host recently: http://www.thinkhost.com/
    That deal looks pretty good but I haven`t dug deep into the specifics.
    Otherwise, I like the site, you seem very informed and know what to pass on to possible readers.A couple links where broken when I looked but I have a feeling you`re working on the site as I type this.
    Thanks for the feedback guys, its very helpful in trying to wrinkle out the bugs. 

Bluto, thanks for the hosting companies I`ll definately check into them and I`ll probably speak to vwebworld as well.

Thanks again all, keep the feedback coming!