WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Promoting my website for free

hhounds006hhounds006 subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2007 in Marketing
I just started a new website I`m trying to increase my traffic. However i have a budget and cant spend any money on promoting it. Is there a website/service out there that promotes websites for free? Or does anyone have any tips on how to do this without spending any money?

Comments

• hucthinshucthins subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey, there are a few ways to advertise your own website without spending any money. Some of them, can be time consuming though and would involve a lot of effort on your part, but it would get the word out there. You can start by blogging about your website, using signature links, and there are also message boards that actually allow you to advertise your website. The best way to do this if you do not have a lot of time on your hands is to use a website that does website promoting. There are some out there that are free, such as www.thenewestwebsite.com</A> or else you can use google to find something. good luck!
  • bizbuddybizbuddy subscriber Posts: 0
    Start a lens at squidoo.com  that will lead you to digg, technorati, stumbled on and more.  Also try freeiq.com 
    Focus on "web 2.0" social networking sites that openly encourage you to promote you content.
    myspace and facebook are good resources depending on your target demo
    and of course blog, blog blog  wordpress is a free down load, google has a free blog source as well bizbuddy2007-10-2 16:46:25
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I just started a new website I`m trying to increase my traffic. However i have a budget and cant spend any money on promoting it. Is there a website/service out there that promotes websites for free? Or does anyone have any tips on how to do this without spending any money?This is the only link you need for increasing web traffic:http://www.highrankings.com/forum/There`s a TON of information here but it all can help you on what to do and what not to do to market your website for free/limited budget.  If you really want to get traffic in you will have to spend money, there`s no way around that.  It all depends on what your business is.
  • WebDropsWebDrops subscriber Posts: 3
    hey hhounds006 you might want to submit
    your site to various free directory submission sites (yes it is time
    consuming) but it definitely helps getting some back links for our
    sites.... also start bookmaking your site to various social
    bookmarking sites.... like digg, delicious etc...
    Good Luck!

• SandyPISandyPI subscriber Posts: 8
    I could not find that newestwebsite site.  You can all so try MySpace, Craig`s List, Ryze, or Linkedin.  Good Luck
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    if you want to do it for free you will have to put in all the work, until you can afford to pay someone to do it or use automated submission programs (there are a ton out there that submit to directories, article banks, press release sites, forums and blogs for you)

consider the following:

focus on basic SEO and make sure you have this covered
    build link popularity by exchanging links with other similar businesses
    submit your website to directories (yahoo, DMOZ are the two biggest and musts!)
    write some keyword focused articles and submit to free article sites (there are still many of these)
    become a guest blogger
    invite others to write on your website as guests
    post in discussion groups, forums (SUN, Yahoo Answers)
    draft press releases and send those out
    post on classified add sites
    squidoo!
    social networks
    social bookmarking

these are all white hat proven to work strategies.  i took a website from 0 to $1,000 (monthly) in 180 days using the marketing means above.  i had 3 streams of income from that site: adsense, affiliate comissions and my own ebook sales.  i don`t see why anyone else couldn`t do this.

all that stuff is free - you just need a lot of time to do it.
  • mahriyahmahriyah subscriber Posts: 2
    Definitely add your business to the many free directories online. I`ve been spending a lot of time submitting to the free directories so it is time consuming but we have seen an increase in traffic as a result. Posting in groups/forums would also be a good start.
    MariaMy link
  • dominoesrulesdominoesrules subscriber Posts: 0
    You can start by blogging about your website, using signature links, and there are also message boards that actually allow you to advertise your website.