WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Marketing to Local Government

w82seew82see subscriber Posts: 2
edited November 2008 in Marketing
Does anyone have any experience of marketing to local government - any tips or best practices?

Comments

• w82seew82see subscriber Posts: 2
    Trying to sell Janitorial Services.   I find that simply registering and responding to bids is not a smart way to win business.  It`s really hit and miss.  I want to find a way of marketing to them so I have a better chance of winning the bid.  But it`s difficult because they seem to dislike spending time with vendors.  So looking for any people with tips / experience.
  • w82seew82see subscriber Posts: 2
    After a bit of hunting I found a blog that goes some way to helping me
  • jacklight1jacklight1 subscriber Posts: 1
    I live in Missouri and here we have a group called MPTAC. This group specifically helps people learn how to market and gain government contracts. Im sure most states have something similar to what we have in Missouri. Google MoPTAC (Missouri Procurement Technical Assistance Center).

Here is the link to that site : http://www.missouribusiness.net/ptac/ 
    Hope this helps.
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all,
    Just my thoughts on the matter.  I used to run a parts center and sold to several government agencies.  First, as already mentioned earlier, most governmental agencies have a "vendors list."  You have to meet certain requirements to get on the list.  Also, most buyers and purchasing agents are restricted to doing business only with vendors on the list. 
    But, once your on the list, try and find out who will actually be making the decision on hiring your company.  Then make an appointment with that person.  Don`t cold call because most of the decision makers are busy and won`t set time aside if you just walk in to their office.  Making an appointment also shows respect for the person you are to meet.
    Further, do some research on the agency and its needs.  Make sure your sales pitch is geared towards meeting their needs.
  • redfishredfish subscriber Posts: 10
    Be benefit driven to the agent that is hiring.  And don`t worry about the price too much. Lowest price probably won`t win, because they just want to make sure that the job gets done (so if it`s too lowball they might have trouble getting it accomplished).  But offer a benefit beyond getting the job done.  City officials have to deal with a lot of stuff -- so make what you do easier for them.