WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Never give up. Never surrender!

iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
edited February 2007 in Grab Bag
Ok, quick story to illustrate my point...I am searching for a passenger side seat belt for my 1979 convertible VW Beetle. It`s not an easy thing to find considering they are not made any longer.I was recommended to go to a specific German auto repair business. I was told, "this guy has everything." Once there, I asked for the part I am looking for.His reply was, "I am sure I have one, but you`ll have to do the work yourself."He directed me around the front counter, and pointed up some stairs saying, "There`s a light switch up there. Turn on the light and start looking for what you want."I couldn`t believe I was about to dig through a bunch of poorly labeled seat belts from nearly every year and car model created in Germany. But, what ever it takes... I took off the coat and started digging.Two hours later, after vigorously searching through all the dusty, oily, seat belts... I came up with nothing!After thanking him for "his" time, I began returning to my car. He then said, "If you don`t find one here, you won`t find one at all." This is the part I am writing about today. Do you know how many times I have heard from people, what I wanted to do couldn`t be done. Do you know how many people have disregarded those words and eventually found success? I find it hard to believe that in all of North America, there are ZERO `79 Beetle seat belts. So my search continues.What`s my point? If you haven`t figured it out yet, Bill Gates, Thomas Edison, and hundreds of others have done things everyone said was impossible. Do you remember when computer chips required tubes? Now they`re made of sand! Ok, silicon sand, but still. You get the point.If you have a dream... Never give up. Never surrender. Even if you die before realizing your dream, you will inspire others to continue the hunt. Maybe not for a seat belt, but no one will ever say you were crazy for following a dream. Even if you never achieve it.My search for this and other dreams continues.

Comments

• iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    hostclick... Hey, thanks for the resource. I will check it out, because I still haven`t solved this little issue.As to knowing "when to surrender" you have a point. But you did succeed! You should feel proud of your accomplishment regardless of cost. Life is about learning and having experiences. I think you learned and experienced a great deal regarding your own brand of TiVo.
  • CSPURGEONCSPURGEON subscriber Posts: 10
    Great point everyone!
    I cannot stand it when people tell me that I shouldn`t start a business or that it wont work. A little thing I like to say when someone says "What if you lose all your money?" or "what if it fails". I like to tell those people " I wish Henry Ford would have thought that way!" Maybe we would have mass produced cars today but how long would it have taken to get there.
    This is all another reason why I like this site: MOTIVATION TO SUCEED!
  • CSPURGEONCSPURGEON subscriber Posts: 10
    *was going to post something but it was way too long*CSPURGEON2007-2-15 19:54:36
    Thank you to all for your posts of locating a new seat belt...CraigL... Your guitar story reminds me of an up-and-coming martial artist who is found on films here in the US.Let me make this clear first... I am not a martial arts fan, but I do catch the occasional DVD flick or movie...Tony Jaa (star of `the protector` in 2005) was watching movies from Hollywood and saw then doing massive stunts (stunt men included) and wanted to do it too. He didn`t realize there were harnesses which could not be seen by the camera`s lens. So he practiced those moves and no does his own martial art stunts... Without wires... Without stunt doubles... He`s fast. He`s incredibly beyond any martial artist`s speed and skill level. Why? Because he didn`t know, "it can`t be done." Check him out... he does everything without wires. It`s quite incredible.
    CraigL... Great point. When is it? I am ignorant about everything... so much so, that I tend to second guess myself due to lack of knowledge. I guess it makes me dig a little further with my ideas before pursuing but sometimes that can be deadly too... it`s called procrastination.