WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

At war with the boss

nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
edited January 2007 in Office Workers
Hey all,  I`m sorry if this post comes off as a blog or whining. I just wanted to see if this was a fairly common thing in the working world.
I`ve only been a part of the "real world " for a few years now and already I want out.
I work as a teller. I``ve done so for almost 3 years now. For about a year my boss has been steadily piling more responsibilities on us. It started out by showing us how to set up simple savings accounts for our members. It has since graduated to we (the tellers myself included) helping the members solve fraud issues, ordering checks, filing loan requests and in some cases closing those loans. This used to be the work of a customer service rep but when one left and the other one got promoted they got smart and decided to teach the tellers to do the work but not pay us for said work. So I brought it up in a meeting, the bosses said "You`re all making strides toward this position and one day we hope to promote you to that role" I rebutt that we`re doing the work now and ask why we haven`t been paid for the work and when we would get promoted and get raises. They told me they don`t have a time frame.
Yesterday I get transfered to work at another branch. They do this quite often. Somedays I come to work, start working and get told i must balance and go help someone else. I never complain but I finally decide to let them hear about it. My boss responds in the most a*****ish (pardon my french) way possible.
He says "You go where we send you plain and simple" and "we`ve been nice enough to give you hours when school didn`t work out for you." Those were two of the most condesending things someone has EVER said to me.
summary:" my boss says he`s the boss i`m the pawn do as I say" Should I expect more of this from other employers or was I just lucky enough to get a jerk as a boss? Sorry for the length(this post was edited by Joel Welsh only for a single unfriendly word)Joel2007-1-15 8:36:32

Comments

• iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Actually nothinglikeit.... You are right on the money if you count my experience. I have found VERY FEW employers who gave a damn about the feeling or long term desires of an employee. This includes many of the bosses who treat you with kindness. Can you imagine what they would really say if they were not being watched?My wife had her employer tell a co-worker, "You are here to do what I tell you to do. If you don`t like it leave. I can find another worker by the end of the day."My wife quit 5 days later due to her hearing this conversation. I just don`t understand that mentality.You see, there is always another fish in the sea.Do yourself a favor. If you want to work for someone else, be or do what they cannot be or do. That also is to say, be and do what others cannot, or will not do.Otherwise, start on your life plan and create a business, niche, and happy way of living. I still float in and out of positions which I have a "boss." At least when you`re freelancing you can choose your greatest partners/employers.I would love to work for someone else if my talents were really appreciated by them. The problem is, you never know who`s blowin smoke up your butt so they don`t have to rehire. It`s easy for people to lie nowadays.Boss says, "Great job today! Tomorrow I might have to ask for your help moving these desks and boxes. I know you`re really the phone operator here, but can you help between calls?"What do you think he`s really saying?
    iouone22007-1-10 15:31:58
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    CrossCountry... Perfect advice.
  • AddassaMariAddassaMari subscriber Posts: 2
    the bosses said "You`re all making strides toward this position and one day we hope to promote you to that role".
    Think of all the extra "work" as on the job training.  Don`t worry so much about the pay.  When your PE (performance evaluation) time rolls around, just make sure the "extras" are noted and that you are being evaluated accordingly. Put yourself in a better negotating position for future openings.  Should you apply for a position for which you are qualified (PE) and don`t get, they will have to justify not giving you position.  So use the "extra" work experience to build a killer resume.

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    NLI.
    I suggest you read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie if you have not already done so in your life. If necessary, read it several times. Adopt the teachings and lessons. As you continue through life, uses these principals, life will become better for you - it just will. Do not let people like your boss impede your growth as a productive and happy human. He will not be the last of his kind that you will encounter if you are lucky enough to live a long life. Prepare yourself with a positive mental attitude and you will be unstoppable.
    Short term - move on. Good tellers are hard to find.
    R@keycon2007-1-10 22:25:41
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    NLI,
    Since I lasted posted a few hours ago, I pondered your post. You came to the SuN for a reason. Most working stiffs would never come here ... unless they don`t want to be a "working stiff" the rest of their lives.
    I suspect you have higher aspirations. What are they? Did you really ask your question so a bunch of startup entreprenuers would answer it? Or were you asking really deeper questions of yourself? I suspect the latter.
    What is it you really want to do? What business is in you? The SuN can help.
    Don`t die not knowing.
    R@
  • StormbringerStormbringer subscriber Posts: 1
    To Nothing Like it,Corporate America has gone down hill... There really are no more "careers" where employees will spend 30 years working for the same company and retire with the gold watch and pension. It seems most job are just projects, a few years here, a couple there.Your employer does not care about you, additionally they see an opportunity to take advantage of their employees and exploit them. It would not surprise me if their next move was to eliminate benefits and steal their employee`s 401K money.It is always shocks  me when I see a company that does not appreciate their most valuable asset... EMPLOYEES! Good ones are very hard to find.The bottom line is that you work for a company that does not want to recognize hard work and that refuses to reward their employees... This will NEVER change because your company lacks leadership. You don`t have to accept this. There are still a few good employers in the "real world" but they are few and far between. It sounds like you are ready to make something happen for you and that is great. Do you know what that is or are you looking for suggestions for your own startup?The Bible says that "As a man thinkith in his heart so is he." What do you see yourself becoming? Figure that out and you have started your journey. Look for a new job and ditch the bank... believe me when I tell you that you can learn nothing there except how to take advantage of people. Find an employer that offers more.
  • SchackSchack subscriber Posts: 0
    Repeat to yourself every day, morning, noon & night: "I will never get rich working for someone else."  This will help inspire you to break out on your own. Until then, you can try to ease the pain by reminding yourself you are choosing to stay in the job because it offers you benefits....x,y,z.  And set goals for when you want to be out of the job and onto bigger and better things.  Being in a horrible job situation is not a requirement of life.  Freedom, however, IS!
  • nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27

NLI,
    Since I lasted posted a few hours ago, I pondered your post. You came to the SuN for a reason. Most working stiffs would never come here ... unless they don`t want to be a "working stiff" the rest of their lives.
    I suspect you have higher aspirations. What are they? Did you really ask your question so a bunch of startup entreprenuers would answer it? Or were you asking really deeper questions of yourself? I suspect the latter.
    What is it you really want to do? What business is in you? The SuN can help.
    Don`t die not knowing.
    R@

Wow I haven`t checked this thing in about two weeks, I didn`t set the posts to reply to me automatically via Email, and I thought no one had responded. I`d like to thank everyone for their responses and advice.

First Inonue2 I`d like to say that it`s awesome that you realize the value of your employees.
    Keycon I quoted you because you are correct, I did come here for a reason. I`ve read a lot of emerging enterprise/small business books lately, SuN included. I loved the indepenedent spirit of it. Starting a business has been something on my mind since the senior year of High School. I am now in a position to start my Multimedia (games, web development/design, graphic design) business.

On a side note, Inoue you mentioned that the report was skewed, which is true, there are 2 sides to every story. I turned in my 2 week notice last week, however, instead of simply saying "okay" my bosses and I were able to talk it out and reach resolutions. I may have been too quick to react. That action proved he cared more than I thought he did. I now see that my boss isn`t the worst one I`ve ever had, especially in light of some of the responses posted in this thread. I will still leave the job eventually, but I`ve decided that instead of bouncing from job to job, I will leave this job to start my own company. So I have decided to learn everything  I can here, and use this information to start my own business.