WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Hiring | Take what you can get?

iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
I have recently been looking for an SEO writer and description/content writer for my site. I have received several candidates, but none seem to really hit the mark when it comes to impressive style or skill.Does a business settle for what they can get, or do you not hire that position until you get the perfect candidate?

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Iouone2,Good topic, this question is very common. Although, I`m not looking for an SEO Guru, I can relate to you. One thing that I found out is, don`t just settle for anything. In the long run you will find out that, you just threw out precious dollars away. What I would suggest is, wait... the right person will come along. Don`t fill a position, just to have someone sitting there. I run into the same  problem everyday. I`ve interviewed about 40 web designers within the last month.. and you know what my conclusion is... they are all self taught... No real life experience, or knowledge of programming. Thanks to Dreamweaver.... they made it so easy for anyone to say "I`m a web designer".... Mind you I still code my pages in notepad, when I was in college that was the only way to code a web site (back in 1996 or 1997) So I do look at cleanliness, whitespacing, layout, and design. But, in your case...... HOLD ON, IT WILL BE WORTH EVERY PENNY
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I have spoke to a good friend whom owns a mechanical, body and paint shop for autos. He told me he rarely gets 50% of what he is looking for in a worker. Although his industry is very specific, I was suprised to hear his applicants are only 50% of expectation. It made me think I need to get into body and paint for autos.
  • CatherineLCatherineL subscriber Posts: 0
    Don`t just take what you can get - it is better to wait for the right person.  I made the mistake in my last business of employing people who weren`t right, just because I was short staffed. 
    Do look for enthusiastic people, and do get references. 
    Why not wait for the people you are trying to recruit now, and in the meantime, you could try using freelancers.  There is a good freelancers site where their work is star rated on past performance - I think it is at www.elance.com
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    "Your business is only as good as the people who work for it."I truly believe this RedDogGraphicsInc.
  • sophia10sophia10 subscriber Posts: 0

"The bigger problem on Elance, in my experience, is
    dummy projects. Some buyers post projects simply to get an idea of the cost or
    to try to find free work."
    Actually our organization wanted to hire virtual employees
    for web designing and SEO. And we are looking for whole virtual team. Because
    now it`s become very expensive for our organization to recruit employees
     And we need reliable and quality
    virtual employees.
    We were prepared to post our requisite on freelancers or e
    lance sites. But we have observed the unacceptable thing. “Dummy projects”. Due
    to which we people unable to understand that why our bids not get awarded.
    Ultimately the outcome is wastage of time as well as money in the entire biding
    process. So, what next?
    Then our team decided to directly contact companies who are
    providing virtual employee services. But the question is "RELIABILITY and
    Hiring charges".
    We have got replies from some forums and communities. So,
    now we have one option company www.marketraise.com. It’s nice.
    But we want best service provider with better package.
    So, the major facts which we believe with freelancing/e
    lance/other bidding sites are
    Disadvantage- time and money saver
    Advantage – ensure reliability
    Thanks
    in advance
    Sophia