WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Need someone who knows something.....

EskimoLuckEskimoLuck subscriber Posts: 3
Hello!
I am currently in the process of starting my own business.  I am looking for someone who might have some experience in my area for some advice!  I am Alaskan Native with a passion for art, and a love for my people.  Though there is some avenues for villagers here on the north slope of Alaska to sell thier artwork, it is few and very lackluster. 
I am planning to visit the villages twice a year and buy artwork, then sell them to gift shops and collectors.  Eventually I will hire someone part-time in each village to buy the art for me.  I will also bring art supplies to sell to the artists, things specifically used for carving ivory, and for beadwork  I am an avid ivory carver, a beader, a painter and have been selling my art since I was 11 years old. 
Because employment is hard to find here on the north slope, many have turned to art to provide income.  I am hoping to establish a business specifically to serve both the artist and the buyer...to ensure quality, craftmanship, and trust.
I have talked with several tourist gift shops and they are desperate to have access to native crafts from my area.  I also know that many artists would like better access to buyers.
Anyways...sorry about the rambling!  I am very passionate about my mission...but am looking for advice and knowledge in this area.
Quyanupak! (Thank you very much!)

Comments

• theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Hi Quyanupak--It`s nice to hear about your passion for art and to help people. Just a couple thoughts here:Have you thought about selling on eBay or starting your own ecommerce website?It could open up a whole new audience to your art and even create demand for your "brick and mortar" business.There are lots of resources here at StartUp Nation to help!Let me know what you think.The Swaynester
  • stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    Hello, and welcome to StartupNation.

I think what you describe is an outstanding opportunity for all
    involved. I spent 13 years in Alaska, in Southeast and the Mat-Su
    valley. Never made it as far north as Barrow; got up to Kotzebue on
    business one winter.

You might want to talk to Vincent (iouone2) as his business is importing handcrafted artwork, mostly from Asia, for sale online and in stores.

Good luck and keep us posted how things are going for you.
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Great analogy Steve.Alohaum...Vince
    Quyanupak for pointing it out, fellers.EskimoLuck: How do you say, "I shouldn`t respond to posts at 4 a.m. anymore" in your language?
    The Swaynester
    Quyanupak for pointing it out, fellers.
    EskimoLuck: How do you say, "I shouldn`t respond to posts at 4 a.m. anymore" in your language?
    The SwaynesterWatch both Vincent and I be totally wrong and Sway be right.  We`d never hear the end of it.
    Sway... 4 am? It`s no wonder you have a 4.7 rating and I have slipped from a 4.4 to 4.2 in the past week. I am not posting at 4 am! Keep up the high rating!
    Vince.Just get two cats that demand to be fed at 4:30 a.m. and you`ll have no problems with morning posts and the resulting  high ratings.You`ll Quyanupak me later.

I don`t mean to offend anyone, nor am I trying to turn this post into a
    "less than respectable" conversation... But I  have to say... knowing
    your (Sway, Ester, or what ever your latest nickname is) sense of
    humor...

"You`ll Quyanupak me later." In English it sounds a bit x-rated.

But yes... (to return to respectful conversation) I will thank you later.

Brian, that Labradorite sounds interesting. Was that what your orca carving was done in?
  • EskimoLuckEskimoLuck subscriber Posts: 3
    Thank you for your replies! 
    I have tried E-bay, at this moment that is my last resort.  The market was flooded with mass produced ivory items made by non-natives, confinscated by the F&G and then sold by the bulk for incredibly low prices.  As a result it is hard to get the price that the art piece is worth. 
    I am at the moment searching for money to purchase more items, I am afraid that my bugdet is quite less than shoe-string.  I do have a a blog that you can look at to see some of my own work, http://nunainua.blogspot.com/</A>  on the right side you can click on the previous posts to see other items.  
    I LOVE labradorite!  I will be willing to buy it raw! 
    And I`m glad I`m not the only one up at 4am surfing the net!  lol  we have one word that might describe that situation "adeee"  (which is usually said while shaking your head  
    My question is:  I am trying to put together a business plan that is tailored specifically to apply for grants.  I am stuck at the place where it suggests you do reasearch to get an in depth understanding of your market. 
    My goal is to make sure this business does not fail before it is even begun!
    Quyanukpuk!
    Rainey
    My question is:  I am trying to put together a
    business plan that is tailored specifically to apply for grants. 
    I am stuck at the place where it suggests you do reasearch to get an in
    depth understanding of your market. 
    My goal is to make sure this business does not fail before it is even begun!Rainey,
    it seems to me the dealers of high end native art in Alaska, Canada and
    the Lower 48 might be best able to help you quantify the market. You
    mentioned that you have already talked to some. Ask them to help
    estimate the market size.

Oh, and your goal is one that many of us share. We`re pulling for you.
  • EskimoLuckEskimoLuck subscriber Posts: 3
    !!!!
    (pulls out the two pound phone book)
    Brilliant!
    Rainey
    Tomorrow morning, I know that I`ll be shaking my head and thinking...
    Adeee
    The Swaynestertheswaynester2006-8-22 20:5:43
    Edited at 8:05 pm? WOW. it`s only 5:08 here. Sway... You`re Super Fast.
    Too bad I couldn`t be Super Accurate.I wouldn`t be spending so much time editing my posts and apologizing for botching the Inuit language.