WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The business mans mobile office

montechristomontechristo subscriber Posts: 6
 I am in a business that requires me to be on the go. Its like this  i want to know what the best phone is for a business man, blackberry,palmpilot, i-paq, and what is the best laptop for a business man and thirdly what tools should one want to have to compile their mobile office aside from the high tech phone and laptop.

Comments

• vietitalivietitali subscriber Posts: 4
    Other than writing, my husband is a mobile notary as well .. I bought him a scratch pad that he can put on his dash .. now that isn`t w/ the intention of him writing while on the road .. often he`ll get a call AT ANY MOMENT`S TIME for a signing for tomorrow or next week .. he needs to quickly write information on paper.
    I`ve also heard GPS is a great thing.  My brother has one of those.
    Trash bags!!  Be sure you get one of those minor attractive ones (we got a black one from Wal-mart) that hangs on the back of your seat so that as you get things in and out of the car you can quickly throw things away.  We ALSO have a cute little hanger by the passenger side of our Toyota mini van where we hang a bag for trash.  (There is a built-in hook where we hang it, but you could get a sticky one also from Wal-mart or something)
    We got him a zipper case to quickly store all receipts related to the business.
    Those are some things off the top of my head of things that are helpful for my husband`s notary business.
    Hope it helps
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Instead of a note pad and paper, I bought a $50 digital vioce recorder. I get calls while in traffic and couldn`t write notes safely. Now when a person says, "Call me at 7PM at 800.900.1000," I`ll repeat it with the voice recorder on... "...that was 800.900.1000 right? OK Jon Johnson, I`ll talk to you again at 7PM." Now the most important thing for me is to make sure I listen to the notes and write pertinant information into my day planner (Entourage). That`s actually the hard part. but it works if I keep on top of it.
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    I spent almost a third of last year on the road - while running my design business.  One of the things I found I needed occasionally was a printer.  My little portable printer (which fits into my laptop case) came in very handy when I didn`t have access to a hotel business center or some type of office center with printing capabilities.  I didn`t need to take it when I was staying in a familiar place - but it sure was helpful a couple times.It was also always helpful for me to have pre-stamped flat rate US Priority Mail envelopes or FedEx supplies with me at all times.  I never knew when I might need to jet a packet of info off to a client or potential client - or send materials back home to myself.Also always have my digital camera (to document things I see along the way), a good supply of Post-It notes, some wipe-ups for any little emergency, a good supply of writing utensils (my favorite pens, highlighters, etc.), breath mints, and more business cards than I think I could possibly use in my "portable office."- J.
    I like the digital voice recorder thing .. I wonder if you can juggle switching that on ... talking on the phone .. OH here`s something you need : hands free phone .. and pressing the recorder on?  I`ll have to envision that for a few days and see if its something he (my hubby) needs
    The printer thing is GREAT for a signing agent a.k.a notary b/c often he`ll be at a borrower`s house doing a mortgage signing and there is an error on a document .. well the title company can fix the error and fax or email it to him immediately and he can get it signed all in a matter of minutes!!
    So I guess if your`e having all these wonderful items another essential would be:

A great car alarm system and insurance
    A picture and list at home w/ all the valuables like pens, sticky notes .. if in case something horribly unforseen should happen (like a break in-the car)
    Another thing to keep in mind ... if your`e going to be on the road so much .. don`t ever let your gas tank fall below 1/2 .. my husband (used to) say .. but its Thurs .. (Thurs used to be the cardinal sin day in our house to buy gas b/c its the most expensive on those days) However, we never know when we`re going to get a call to go over an hour away one way and now we`re panicked b/c gas is now almost zeroed and we`re out in what land?
    So I guess if your`e having all these wonderful items another essential would be:

A picture and list at home w/ all the valuables like pens, sticky notes .. if in case something horribly unforseen should happen (like a break in-the car)Very seldom is car travel involved in my work - usually on planes.  Yes, the insurance  is a must.   A motion-activated laptop alarm is always a good thing for hotel room stays if the laptop doesn`t fit into a room safe.  They allow you to lock the laptop to a permanent fixture and the alarm goes off if someone tries to move the laptop or remove the lock.- J.
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    LogoMotives,Are you serious? Are they reasonably priced? Can the alarm (through the computer) dial a text message through the internet? That way the computer could text message me.... "Someone`s touching me."But really, do you have a quality divise yourself? What`s it called?

A picture and list at home w/ all the valuables like pens, sticky notes .. if in case something horribly unforseen should happen (like a break in-the car)
    A motion-activated laptop alarm is always a good thing for hotel room stays if the laptop doesn`t fit into a room safe.  They allow you to lock the laptop to a permanent fixture and the alarm goes off if someone tries to move the laptop or remove the lock.
    Now that`s something to scratch my head on .. can you expound a little on that ... like brand name and stuff ..
    Also a question for you travelers out there .. how do you have internet on your computer if there is no wireless available at the place your`e in .. i.e. your car .. is there some kind of "device"?
    There are a lot of portable laptop alarms out there.  I have a Compu-lock - they`ve got a few different products.  A Google search for "laptop alarms" will bring up many results.  Here`s a site suggesting laptop security guidelines for IT professionals - it provides a lot of advice used by the law firm where my partner works.As far as Internet access while on the road - I`m usually fairly stationary while traveling and will have access through the hotel, T-mobile hotspots or free service from coffeeshops, libraries, etc.- J.
  • pgray007pgray007 subscriber Posts: 0
    I have a Cingular 8125 phone (similar devices are sold by all the other carries although they look slightly different) and I`ve very happy with it as an all-in-one device. It sync`s perfectly with the Exchange server back in my office, and works as a servicable phone/voice recorder. You can browse the web in a pinch (it`s slow) but mostly it`s perfect for voice/email. I also have a bluetooth folding keyboard so I can write longs emails and articles on vacation without bringing my laptop on vacation. I also have a bluetooth GPS and nav software that works great while travelling in rental cars.
    Note that the integrated devices (Treos/Blackberries/Windows Mobile) comprimise in some area. None of them are better than a great or even mediocre dedicated cell phone, and their complexity causes crashes, slowness, and general oddities at times. If you can live with the quirks, the overal boost in functionality may be well worth it. It is for me, but some people go into these devices expecting the world and are sorely disappointed.
  • RSchlieperRSchlieper subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello,
        How about a Blue Tooth wireless ear piece?  The most recent Blue Tooth devices are compatible with most cell phones.  Simply activate the "wireless" feature on your cell phone and with the Blue Tooth device on the two will "talk" to each other.  Now, when your cell phone rings, assuming the cell phone was set to "auto answer", the call will transfer to your cell phone for a hands free conversation.
    Ron