WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

OSCommerce

Comments

• gabakkegabakke subscriber Posts: 0
    I was wondering if any of these ecommerce packages have the ability to implement users? For example, can a regular customer go to the site, log in, and purchase an order exactly like their last or one of their previous orders? Also, having the ability to get that same purchase order and add another product.
    gabakke2007-8-17 16:19:2
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Yes, Zen Cart.. the customer can view their order history and reorder.
    ~Roland
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Oleg,
    When A customer comes to me with an idea of starting a shopping cart, 95 % of the time I recommend OScommerce 2.2 RC1, which is the last release before the release of OSCOMMERCE 3.0 Code name Alpha.
    Here is what we are expecting from OScommerce in the next months to follow. A fully CSS table-less Shopping Cart with the ability to switch back and forth from a Table structure to a Tables-less structure.
    It will be dependant of PHP5, since PHP4 has come to it`s end of life on DEC 31,2007. You will be able to Upload upto 4 images for your products (including thumb-nails) currently you can only upload 1. Add keywords to your productsWYSIWYG products description window (to tweak the font-color, and lay-outMerchant Account Integration is so much easier (pay pal IPN for example)Able to create multi level Administrators (for your workers)Music Downloads / Software downloads Capable... (For those that don`t know, OSCommerce has this feature installed you just have to know how to activate it)Gift Certificates - You can create the Certs and print them out and OScommerce keeps track of the Gift Certificate Numbers.
    As an Oscommerce Supporter/ Sponsor, I`ve tested Oscommerce Release 3.0 Beta and I can`t wait for the full release to launch. Currently its a little buggy but the installation is easier than before.
    Now if you are thinking about using Oscommerce as an Engine, like Nikole Suggested, then I would suggest using, The Oscommerce STS (Simple Template System) What this enables you to do is, Create your own template and just by adding some variables to the template you can use the OSCommerce Engine with your Custom Template.
    As for Zen Cart, It`s a downgrade from Oscommerce, but it shares the same engine, just lighter in scale. Nuevolution12/28/2007 9:10 PM

Yes, Zen Cart.. the customer can view their order history and reorder.~Roland

This is the same for Oscommerce...
    Yes, Once a customer creates an Order it`s then stored on their order history page. Thus allowing the customer to re-order the same item (product) but not the same purchase order, it creates a new purchase order. You do not want to use the same order number anyways... Same Item different receipt, just like when you buy something at a store, you buy something today, and your purchase order is 110, tomorrow it can be 1120 depending on the number of buyers.

As far as trying to ram something down people`s throats .... gee, I didnt think that an non-emotional discussion could get so emotional on your part - especially when you violate the terms here at SuN by calling folks complete idiots simply because they have a difference of opinion or are asking questions. I find it amazing that the "gurus" here are so closed minded and have not even contacted Spads.com to understand more about AppleCart - I guess the gurus are just soooooo smart - that they already know it ALL !! I have gone the the site and found it not too helpful to learn about the program, what it can or can not do. There is a list of lastest features .As for SUN`s terms of use... I think this thread is way off track from the original post. Maybe a new thread to compare ecommerce solutions would have been a better forum.  There is no need to get your "panties in a wad" over this. Also, the tone of your posts and "labeling" people gurus etc. aparently because they hold a different opinion than yours is offensive. The biggest problem I have with this prolonged dialogue is you keep saying the same thing over and over again... and keep spewing the same misrepresentations over and over again. Thus, it is not helping SUN members.In an effort to end the spread of misinformation, this is my last post on this matter.Respectfully submitted, Roland

Roland,
    Do you know why Blondie Blue Keeps repeating over and over APPLE CART and GOtruck stop? He needs impressions, he needs to have fresh content on the search engines. Everytime you post something here, it comes up as fresh content on the search engines. My question to TJG is, did he add a Dentures Category to his Shopping Cart?
    Hey! now when ever someone types in dentures Gotruckshop or stop, will show... TJG send me an email, when you get hits under dentures...
    Anyways, back to the subject.
    I like how TJG compared Apple Cart to a Corvette. Apple Cart is nowhere near a Corvette, CGI (perl)? Come on...It`s more like Apple cart = Wheel barrow, I agree with  What Nikole said, how many references do you find on CGI (perl) not that many.
    Why charge for updates? when all the OScommerce contributions are free.
  • blondieblueblondieblue subscriber Posts: 9
    nuevolution, I`m flattered by your continual posting of my posts. It appears that when business is slow, you try and resurrect old threads to bring to light your self-importance.
    As far as TJG is concerned, I guess you failed to read a post a few months ago about TJG and Iraq. Too bad.
    Happy New Years everyone.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Edgar,
    Not sure why you dug up those old posts  
    But BlondieBlue certainly can make posts, as can any SUN member, with links or not. She is smart to do so (with links) I would advise anyone to post with relevant links in the content and/or their signature. It can help get a site indexed and help with search results.

As far as this thread (osCommerce)... although I have done my share of osCommerce site, at this time I prefer Zen Cart over osCommerce because Zen Cart is css based and already has the features you noted that will be available with the new release of osCommerce.

~Roland
    vwebworld12/29/2007 12:37 PM
    I am skeptical about him being killed by an IED, If that was the case, may his soul rest in peace, but why can`t I find an obituary? So at least I can send his family some flowers?
    I think it`s messed up to play with death... You are bringing it upon yourself TJG... I wish you the best of Luck and may god protect you... But death is something you don`t play with... You should respect it...
    As for OScommerce, Roland, it`s preference of choice but I think it`s more powerful than Zen Cart. Also if you use the STS you can design a fully CSS site and integrate the Oscommerce Engine.

nuevolution, I`m flattered by your continual posting of my posts. It appears that when business is slow, you try and resurrect old threads to bring to light your self-importance.As far as TJG is concerned, I guess you failed to read a post a few months ago about TJG and Iraq. Too bad.Happy New Years everyone.

When Business is slow? On my end or yours? Business is not slow for me, it hasn`t for the past 12 months, as a matter a fact I didn`t get a good night sleep till December 19th.
    I had such a good night sleep (10 peaceful hours) that I talk about it to all my friends as it was the best thing that ever happened to me...
  • VolusionVolusion subscriber Posts: 0
    I`m not sure how open source shopping carts can be PCI compliant.  PCI is the set of standards that credit card companies ask that merchants use.  If you are not PCI compliant and your store gets hacked, the credit card companies can fine you and prevent you from accepting credit cards online.
    Open source carts are vulnerable because it would not be difficult for someone to figure out how to hack into your store and then route credit card information somewhere else.  Open source is truly that--open.
    To get more info on PCI, please check out this link:
    http://www.pcicomplianceguide.org
  • rukoiatkarukoiatka subscriber Posts: 0
    I have tried using other Open Source projects, phpShop (weak) and then www.joomla.org + shopping cart add-on www.virtuemart.com (working with joomla and mambo).
    Other similar open source projects: www.magentocommerce.com, www.drupal.org+www.ubercart.org. I did not try zencart or oscommerce. I have looked through the live shops of all and alexa rankings.
    The most popular are joomla and then drupal and that is adding huge value to virtuemart and ubercart. You have a website with forum, blog, huge community and a lot of add-on modules. Both virtuemart and ubercart have more professionally looking live stores. I would say ubercart is a bit more popular.
    I used joomla and virtuemart (www.PearlsAlone.com) and if I had time I would try drupal and ubercart. I would not spend time on oscommerce and zencart just because they do not have something like joomla or drupal at the core.
  • rukoiatkarukoiatka subscriber Posts: 0
    I have tried using other Open Source projects, phpShop (weak) and then www.joomla.org + shopping cart add-on www.virtuemart.com (working with joomla and mambo).
    Other similar open source projects: www.magentocommerce.com, www.drupal.org+www.ubercart.org. I did not try zencart or oscommerce. I have looked through the live shops of all and alexa rankings.
    The most popular are joomla and then drupal and that is adding huge value to virtuemart and ubercart. You have a website with forum, blog, huge community and a lot of add-on modules. Both virtuemart and ubercart have more professionally looking live stores.
    I used joomla and virtuemart (www.PearlsAlone.com) and if I had time I would try drupal and ubercart. I would not spend time on oscommerce and zencart just because they do not have something like joomla or drupal at the core.
  • huiedeehuiedee subscriber Posts: 7
    How do I add Zen cart to my website? Not very IT savvy....

Thanks,
    Donna

www.pregnant-r-us.com