WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Getting past fear

VickiJVickiJ subscriber Posts: 6
edited April 2006 in Thought Leadership
Does anyone else tend to procrastinate on their projects because they fear they will fail? Or they fear the unknown? If so, how do you get yourself past those fears?

Comments

• VickiJVickiJ subscriber Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the encouragement. Somewhere inside I know all these things because I`ve read lots of books and listened to lots of tapes and CDs on the subject. I know HOW to do it, but I still put off action. I think it was Tony Robbins that says, "The Universe rewards action."
    Somewhere inside I have a conflict going on. If I never take action to complete the project I can`t fail. But if I never complete the project I can`t succeed either. And I know I can succeed if I try. Does that make any sense? NO.
    Thanks for all the input. I think encouragement and a group of like-minded people might be the key for me. I feel motivated every time I visit the forum. Thanks!

I never thought of it that way. That`s excellent! And it`s exactly right. If I never take action I`ve already failed. But if I take action and learn from the outcome, then I can change direction as needed and keep on "succeeding" until I get to the outcome I want. How inspiring!
  • BardStuffBardStuff subscriber Posts: 7
    Vicki,  I can testify that all the motivational materials in the world won`t get your business off the ground.  You have to stop reading about it and do it.  Something.  Anything.  There`s a world of difference between looking up domains on godaddy.com to see which are taken, and actually hitting the "buy this domain" button.   There`s a world of difference between reading posts on SUN saying "Go for it, we know you can do it!" and putting the computer down and going to melt some crayons in your microwave.Failure is going to happen. No way to deny that.  You just have to approach it from the right direction so that when it does, you roll with it, learn from it, and move on.
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Vicki - I believe you responded to my post days ago on Napoleon Hill, author of Think and Grow Rich. If I remember correctly, you said you had read this book. If so, go back and re-read the chapter on The Six Ghosts of Fear. I believe it will help you straighten some things out and get over some bumps in the road.
    "Before we can master an enemy, we must know its name, its habits, and its place of abode." ~ Napoleon Hill
    Your thoughts are the ONE thing over which you have absolute control. Conquer the six ghosts of fear.
    R@
    Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I wanted to let you know that everything you said did a WHOLE LOT of good. I got over my temporary mental block and this morning I took another step toward getting my project going. 
    Yes, Richard, I have read Think and Grow Rich. It was a long time ago. I think I borrowed it from the library at the time (and a few times since). I`m going to buy a copy. I often need to be reminded. That`s what`s so great about this group!!

• aaronmuttaaronmutt subscriber Posts: 1
    If I truly feared failure- I`d have a million things in the works at any given time...
    The fear of the unknown- or a limited ability to control the outcome of a project- leaving so much to the winds of the world can be paralyzing.  I try to practice the idea of doing all the footwork and letting the results be out of my hand- but then again as a business man I don`t really like that idea of seeing what happens... it`s a catch 22!!
    I found simply accomplishing the small tasks keeps my focus- work on individual aspects of the big picture and suddenly we are much further ahead than we realize.  How do you eat a bear?  (one bite at a time)
    keep your head up,
    a great book........ the four agreements.
    be good

aaron
  • CaboBillCaboBill subscriber Posts: 13
    Vicki J,
    I am right there with you.  All throughout high school, I was never a great student.  Always doing just enough to pass.  At 33 I finally started college.  so far, all A`s  and a B .  I know that I can do this, but my past keeps creeping into my head.  I have tried to surround myself with people that think positively and that want to see me succeed.  the most important person is the love of my life, Rhonda.  Who would`ve thought that I would meet my future wife (wedding is May 19, 2007).  She has started to break down those walls a little at a time.  I still have that nagging voice from time to time, but it is getting harder and harder to hear it.  Whenever I start feeling like it won`t work, she is right there to keep the voice from getting too loud.
    surround yourself with positive people and that voice you hear telling you that it won`t work will become harder and harder to hear.  So far the people that I have met here have shown me that it can be done on any budget in any field.  keep going and just remember, this community is here for you, and me, and all of us.
    Good luck,
    Bill
  • theDavetheDave subscriber Posts: 2
  • aaronmuttaaronmutt subscriber Posts: 1
    Cabo----

"never regret the past - nor shut the door upon it." - huge saying for me-
    i have the tendency to allow failures, fears etc etc creep in on me as
    well- and as experience begins to accumulate I find  the simple
    idea of getting out of my head onto paper or into someone else`s ears
    works miracles.  I think your experience is incredibly valid and I
    truly appreciate what you shared.
    Congrats on the wedding- best of luck.

be good

aaron
  • petsandperfumepetsandperfume subscriber Posts: 0
    Vicki,
    Lisa Jiminez has a great book - Conquer Fear.  I have just discovered her and she is a great speaker
    She says - If you haven`t had a major failure in your life in the past year you are not living big enough!
    I love that - use fear as your green light to tell you when you are trying to achive somthing really big
    Danielle
  • moneymelzmoneymelz subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I`m definately a procrastinator, and it is hard for me to come over my fears as well it has help alot reading everyones comments, but it`s a constant battle with me, i have to talk to people but i fear the rejection, but i know that has to come with it, but i still don`t like it, i go with several methods with trying to overcome my fear, scriptures help me alot, just repeating in my head, God has not given me a spirt of fear but of power, helps..I have a bracelet i keep on 24/7 that says fear not, plus just whole heatedly believing in what i do, and that what i`m doing is positive. Good luck! wish me luck too!
  • rvdebbyrvdebby subscriber Posts: 11
    I have met the enemy and he is me. I can come up with more reasons why I will fail than anyone and it scares the bejeebers out of me. Have a difficult time facing fears, it was never encouraged in my family so it feels wrong. Difficult however is not impossible and I have to pat myself on the back--I have the richest life in the family Not money but experiences and memories. The only thing that can remove those from your life...probably Alzheimers, and guess what you won`t know it.