WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

New Here - Naming your business?

TrueGRITSTrueGRITS subscriber Posts: 3
edited April 2006 in Business Planning
Hi everyone.  I am in the very early stages of developing my business with only an inkling of an idea, so bear with me.
I have a name in mind for my "southern themed" women`s gift shop, but it`s the title of a book chapter.  Is it protected by intellectual laws? 
The business name w/ tag lines I`m considering:
More than the Drawl, Y`all
A Hodgepodge of All Things Southern
Gifts, Jewelry, Decor, Stationery
"More than the drawl, y`all" was the chapter title.  Is 5 words too long?  Is it too vague?  I was thinking of using www.drawlyall.com</A> as the web address.  I`m neutral on the two bottom tag lines, but I really do think Drawl Y`all is a unique business name.
Your thoughts are appreciated!
Diana

Comments

• theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Hey there--Not an intellectual property lawyer, but, it`s possible that a chapter title could be protected by copyright laws. I think it would depend on whether the author would pursue it, or not. Five words seems like it would be hard to protect without a trademark. Just my guess.You could also do a twist on it: Not Just Drawl, Y`all. And just Drawl Y`all would work.By the way... You ought to consider opening up this to Yankees, too. My wife is a closet Southerner. She loves Paula Dean and southern cooking. I`m sure you can sell the "southern lifestyle" all across the nation.(She loved the G.R.I.T.S acronym)
    Matt
  • TrueGRITSTrueGRITS subscriber Posts: 3
    Matt, thanks, and I understand about opening it to closet Southerners.  My mom lives in NY but subscribes to Southern Living magazine, so I can`t very well exclude my own mother!  TrueGRITS2006-4-19 6:17:19
  • VickiJVickiJ subscriber Posts: 6
    IMHO, five words is too long for a name. But I like Drawl Y`All, especially for us Northerners you want to reach.
  • BardStuffBardStuff subscriber Posts: 7
    I like where you`re heading, and I agree that "Drawl Y`All" has a nice ring to it.  I`m concerned that Drawl Y`all doesn`t really say anything, though, does it?  Just looking at those two words, what would people expect to find?  It sort of reminds me of boats ("yawl" being boating term that comes to mind).  "More than the drawl, y`all" is nice in that it`s actually conversational and you can work in the y`all because it feels like you`re talking to your customer.  But I think it`s a bit on the long side.  Can you picture people working it into conversation?  "What are you up to today?"  "Oh, I`m heading down to More Than The Drawl Y`all, want to come?"  You could possibly even get away with it and then discover that people are just calling your place Drawl Y`all anyway, for short.When I read this this morning before heading in to work I thought of "Drawl `n All" or something like that, which (at least to me) conjures up the idea of authentic Southern experience - where you get "a hodgepodge of all things southern, including the drawl".    I`m trying to figure out how to work in the y`all part since it adds character, but haven`t come up with any better ideas yet.D
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Diana,
    Born and raised in ATL, I am definitely a fan of GRITS (no offense to the other ladies on this forum). I like your idea but not crazy about the name.
    How about Raised in the South - A Southern Boutique. Says it all.
    www.rasiedinthesouth.net</A> and .biz are available and .com appears to be held by a name squatter. Might contact the owner and see if they would sell.
    If I were to use the name Raised in the South, I would not abandon the GRITS idea - just incorporate this theme into all your marketing materials and the website. Would especially create a GRITS line of apparel . Would design a distinct logo to set GRITS apart and for use on clothing line.
    R@
  • lisalisa subscriber Posts: 0
    Regardless of what you choose for the name, I would definitely try to get a .com vs. a .net or .biz.  
  • MelissaMelissa subscriber Posts: 7
    What about GRITS Goodies....I like that.    It`s kind of catchy and the domain name is available.  And, just a repost, I was able to reserve my name for a year on ipowerweb.com with privacy for $2.95 (no hosting, just the name, but until I have a site, I really don`t want to pay hosting fees!)
    Good luck!
  • BardStuffBardStuff subscriber Posts: 7
    Maybe it`s because I`m born and raised in Massachusetts, but I would have no clue that GRITS stands for anything until somebody tells me.  I know of it as a food, so if the name shows up in your business name, I`m expecting you to sell food.  Grits goodies could be some sort of snack cake for all us Y
    s know.D(As a Red Sox fan, I am not allowed in any way to refer to myself as that Y word.)
    Thanks for all the input!  There are so many good ideas! 
    I`m thinking that "grits goodies" can lead down the road of food - and any Southerners out there will agree with me that A Southern Season commands the southern gourmet food gift market. 
    I didn`t go anywhere with GRITS because I thought it was TM`d?  I know there is a line of GRITS apparel out there, and frankly, it`s hideous.  It could definitely be improved upon.
    And I completely agree that "drawl y`all" says absolutely nothing, but that "more than the drawl yall" is catchy, but long.
    Along the same upscale lines as A Southern Season, what about The Southern Gift?  And then sell a GRITS line that y`all love so dearly?  Too similar to the other store? 
    Hm, still thinking more!
  • theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    "more than drawl, y`all" might work as a tag line, too.
    So I googled and found what I was thinking of for the GRITS thing.  www.gritsgifts.com</A>.  It appears they have registered their logo, but not the Girls Raised in the South slogan (?).  Regardless, their products are terribly dated and could go a whole other direction, since they seem to be very popular here!
    And I tried www.southerncharms.com</A> and my work web filter blocked it as "adult material".  Hmm...
  • BJbizBJbiz subscriber Posts: 2
    TrueGRITS,
    Thanks for posting this question.  I`m just started out as well.  I wanted to name my business, "The Inventory Wizard" or "Wizard Inventory Service" but when I checked on a domain name, there was another business name domain too close to what I wanted.
    Maybe someone could help me out.  My business idea is to start a home-based, household and small-business inventory service.  I want the name to be "caughtie".  Of course, we also have to consider the domain name.
    Thanks.
  • StartUpCoachFLStartUpCoachFL subscriber Posts: 8
    The intellectual property issue should be reviewed but the name is something special you will have for a long time. Try to articulate what you do clearly what you do in your name. A great name can really drive business. I am a southerner but what would I want to buy from the name. Names such as National Tire Wholesale tell you a great deal about the company. If you are emotionally attached to a name great. If you want to drive business ask others what they think when you say the name to strangers. Conduct a very informal focus group by asking people on the street what the name says to them.

It may change your mains or confirm your first choice. Ask the people what they think of other names and suggestions. It is free and will give you great information Good luck