WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Selecting the Right Business Card

tomasztomasz subscriber Posts: 14
edited April 2006 in Marketing
I would like to create a business card for myself based on the services that I offer to small businesses.In terms of content what are most common and important information should be included and or leftout. Also, do white business card are the mostly preferred? Gpahics? yes or no?And, Should I include my full name (Tomasz), which I think is more professional, or should it be Tom, which is what I am more commonly know by to everyone and is easier to pronounce.Any comments or suggestions are appreciated
tomasz2006-4-12 19:48:11

Comments

• Options
    MarketeerMarketeer subscriber Posts: 2
    Tomasz,
    I get to see a lot of business cards at PrintingForLess.com. It seems that just about everyone orders business cards at some point.
    You should know that 99% of all business cards are thrown out within the first week of being passed out. So, how do you make a card that makes the cut? When laying out your card, you need to consider what you are trying to achieve when you pass it out. Are you giving out your contact information, or would you like to add to your contact info my creating a business card that is a promotional or marketing piece too? Just a little thought can set you out in front of the thousands of other business cards that are floating around out there.
    The most important info to include is your name (I`d suggest using Tom if you are working in a casual environment or are trying to establish a "friendly" relationship. Your full name will send a more professional message, but that may be what you want). Your preferred method of contact should be included too. I`ve noticed that recently people aren`t putting fax numbers on their cards. Fax isn`t used to the extent that it used to be. Email is a must these days and mobile phone numbers are not only included, but are sometimes the only number listed on the cards. You`ll also want to list your website, if you have one, and a mailing address.
    It is helpful to start with a template and customize it for yourself. Most programs have easy to use templates that don`t look too bad. (If you`re not using a template, a regular business card is 3.5 x 2". )
    Design is mostly personal preference, but there are a few rules to follow. To get a great looking business card, you should consider having it printed professionally on heavy, white, card stock (100 - 120# cover stock or 12 - 14pt. cover stock. These are the same thing by the way) Many of the cards that we print are mostly white. A business card can really stand out if it has some good color to it. I personally like cards that are mostly solid colors with white text. To make this look good you should print the color onto white paper. Using colored paper will effect the rest of your colors in your picture or text.
    Pictures are commonly used by Real Estate professionals, or people who laregly deal face to face with clients. Other graphics, like a logo, are a great addition in place of a photo and go a long way to help you brand your business.
    I`m sorry for the long post. I know that this is a lot of information. If you`d like to see some samples of different cards that we`ve printed to give you some ideas, just email me and I`ll get some samples sent to you. This can be helpful for generating ideas of your own. If you`re interested, the PFL website has some good Design Hints and business card templates. No obligation of course.
    Design Hints - http://www.printingforless.com/perfectpiece.html</A>
    Microsoft Word Templates - http://www.printingforless.com/bcardtemplates.html</A>
    If you want to take your card a step farther, feel free to check out this article on Creativepro.com, but don`t be intimidated by these designs.
    http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/18233.html</A>
    Your card doesn`t have to be super fancy, or be designed by an expensive designer to be effective. It just has to communicate your message clearly and appeal to the person you`re giving it to. Best of Luck!Marketeer2006-4-13 1:31:27
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Great advice from both Marketeer and iouone2. I`m a huge
    advocate of taking the creative approach, suggested by
    iouone2, in making the first impression. For the first 25+ years I
    was in business I didn`t even have a business card - and was
    known as "the graphic designer without a biz card." To the
    amazement of friends, family, industry peers and clients I
    created a business card about four years ago. It`s nearly
    square, made of thick paper and printed in the letterpress
    process. It makes an incredible first impression - and doubles
    very well as a beer coaster.

- J.

LogoMotives2006-4-14 22:56:40
  • Options
    SeafarerSeafarer subscriber Posts: 1
    I just wanted to add that as a one-person startup freelance writer I was going to hold off for awhile on getting business cards, especially since I`m moving in a few months and will have to change address & phone info. Plus, my local Office Depot`s smallest run is 1000! 
    Well, within one week I had about three contacts or editors wanting to exchange cards.  Fine....I got an Office Depot basic run, with black lettering on white, and I guess my recycle bin will get a heck of a pile on moving day. Cost me about US$18.
    What struck me was how hard it was to fit my name, business, Web site URL, blog URL, email,  and snail mail all onto one card, particularly since I have a long name. 
    Guess I should try LogoMotives` beer coaster-sized one next time.
  • Options
    VickiJVickiJ subscriber Posts: 6
    Great ideas. Thanks. Right now I design my own business cards and print them on my own printer on 110 lb. card stock. I only print a few at a time. But I might be interested in having them printed elsewhere.Marketeer (or anyone else who prints cards), if I design my own cards can you print them? If so, how do I submit them to you? Email? Snail mail? What format can you use? I have several inexpensive (cheap) programs to use or I could re-design it in Quark 6.1.
  • Options
    getinkpreferredgetinkpreferred subscriber Posts: 1 Member

If you are looking for a business card then, Chase provides an assortment of small business credit cards that are made for various business expenditures and all sorts of entrepreneurs. The Chase Ink Business credit cards are parable with each other and any of the Chase consumer credit cards as well. and you can also get a invitation number from getinkpreferred.

• Options
    anrewanrew subscriber Posts: 6 Member

It's pretty good that you actually wrote this note. You have brought up a rather important topic. Thank you for the extensive information just exactly what you suggested.

• Options
    Samuel BallardSamuel Ballard subscriber Posts: 1 Member

Being a professional designer and business card collector, I know that there are many different printing techniques that are used to create business cards. The cards I kept though out my career had something very unique about them. My first collected card was a four color business card from an antique car collector. My favorite card is from a world famous graphic designer that included an animation quality. What made me keep these cards is the innovative ways they were produced or the functionality of the card. If you have a memorable card, people will hold on to it and will keep you in mind. Take a look at Moo for business cards. If you need more advice let me know.