WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Small Business Public Relations

PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
edited April 2006 in Public Relations
 Hi Everyone! I am a small business owner too and help StartupNation with their public relations. We realize entrepreneurs need help with their publicity efforts so we`ll be adding more information and assistance with this on the website soon.
In the meantime, checkout the various articles on publicity throughout the site. It`s really important to come up with a story angle that the media will be interested in and to pursue the right media contacts -- rather than just sending a press release out to hundreds of names. It`s a lot more work---but worth the effort!  Have a great day, and don`t be afraid to go for your small business dreams!

Comments

• VickiJVickiJ subscriber Posts: 6
    I agree wholeheartedly! When I`m working as an editor and I get a news release with my name on it (spelled correctly), I take the info much more seriously than if the name on the envelope is someone who worked there two years ago - or 10 years ago. (Yes, really!) I`m a patient person, but if someone doesn`t care enough to get the name right I probably won`t care much either. If you don`t know the right person to send it to, call and ask the person who answers the phone. If you can`t find the right person, at least get the name of someone in the newsroom (it it`s a newspaper). He/she will likely pass it along to the right person if they think it`s worth a story.
  • patchpatch subscriber Posts: 0
    As an editor for the past thousand years, I know how difficult it is for PR people to get the desired reaction from people like myself. Trash cans are always the handiest places to deposit handouts.
    Not only do you have to have a compelling story, you have to have, in most cases, an appeal to offering an exclusive story to the news outlet you are approaching. Quite simply, newspapers and broadcast media all like to have something no one else has.
    Another piece of advice for someone trying to break in is to avoid the large metropolitan newspapers or broadcase outlets and concentrate on the small, community media who have a limited budget for filling their news hole.
    It is always important to be available at all times to be interviewed.
    One of the best ways to a reporter`s heart is to contact him/her when you hear of a good news story that has nothing at all to do with your business (emphasis on good). If you get interviewed your name will appear (hopefully with your occupation or, bliss, with the name of your business).
    But, most important, you have made a friend in the right place. Now you know who to send your  press release to.
    And it all this doesn`t work the first time, don`t despair. Your press release has lots of company in that big round file. Just persevere.
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Great advice in the posts above.  So much of successful public relations is in developing on-going relationships with publication editors and writers.  I`ve worked with some from various newspapers, magazines and webzines for over a decade.  In some cases I`ve invited them out for a cup of coffee to discuss what types of stories they are seeking.  In many cases the purchase of a cup of coffee was an incredible investment in the marketing/promotion of my own business.  These days, when they need a quote, or input for a story, they call me without being prompted. I do drop everything and respond as soon as possible.  It recently resulted in me being quoted in a Fortune Magazine article.One other great piece of advice - always send a handwritten "thank you" note to the editor or writer responsible for you being quoted or written about.  It helps cement that relationship with the individual.- J.
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Kim -If the scrapbooking industry publications are not supporting your efforts put your time/energy into developing contacts with "home business" publications, smaller local newspapers/magazines, local business publications, etc.  Make use of sites like PRWeb.com and PRLeap.com to increase your exposure. Eventually you will create a situation where the scrapbook industry publications can`t just ignore you. Good luck!- J.