WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Reviving Business-Logo Advice Please

twobearstwobears subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2008 in Business Planning
I am contemplating restarting my pet grooming business and need a fresh look.  I think I have decided on a name but I want a cool logo.  I want something that will really represent  my business as well as speak to my target audience.  I had a logo a number of years ago but it really was generic.  Does anyone out there have any advice as to how I can accomplish this?   I have to get it right the first time.  I can`t afford to do this more than once.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Know what you want

Be able to express that to a designer

Ask for unlimited revisions and many mockup concepts

Use a reputable company Or a great Designer

Try out the samples agianst business cards. web etc.. make certain it works and try out different color versions.

Make the logo speak for itself, keep it clean and welcoming.

Erin
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    twobears -
    Here are links to some articles I`ve written about the processes businesses need to consider when taking on their identity projects:Identity Crisis!: 50 Redesigns That Transformed Stale Identities Into Successful Brands. It may be a great resource in providing you additional information as you begin the process to "get it right" on the first go-around.
    Do contact me directly if you have questions or would like me to prepare an estimate for you.
    Best of luck! - J.
  • moneydashbanddotcommoneydashbanddotcom subscriber Posts: 0

Hi,
    I too just went through the process of designing my business` logo.
    I`ve been a part of several startups, and from experience I can debunk some of what the "conventional wisdom" is.
    First, expect to pay more than a few hundred dollars. Like cars, there`s a price point where quality gets scary. You generally get what you pay for. A good designer is an expert and designs for the most important person - not you - your audience!

First advise is know what you`re really in business for.
    Other wise the "unlimited revisions" adage is just a symptom of sloppy thinking (and bad business). If you can`t express what value your business provides, and what your audience is looking for in a business - it`s time for YOU figure that out FIRST. Not your designer - unless you`re paying him/her to do that. 
    Revisions cost time, money, and exhaust the process. Imagine paying your CPA to do 20 different tax returns until you "like it." I`m sure after 3, no one`s going to be happy.
    Use a reputable company. Some online companies are great, some are just cheap.
    I used these guys
    http://www.performancelogo.com
    and they were awesome!

Not only did they help us focus on the important stuff - they also gave EVERYTHING we needed.
    Logo, source files, all our printing - business cards, letterhead, envelopes and it was all one price.

I`ve used Ad Agencies, freelancers and they were either too expensive, trying to sell me 20k ad campaigns, or didn`t GET IT.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck.

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I am contemplating restarting my pet grooming business and need a fresh look.  I think I have decided on a name but I want a cool logo.  I want something that will really represent  my business as well as speak to my target audience.  I had a logo a number of years ago but it really was generic.  Does anyone out there have any advice as to how I can accomplish this?   I have to get it right the first time.  I can`t afford to do this more than once.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    twobears,
    You don`t mention your marketing strategy and plan. It`s easier and faster for a designer to create something if you know the core elements of your marketing strategy. Who, what, when, where, how.
  • twobearstwobears subscriber Posts: 1
    Hello dothingsright,

I checked out 99...  If I understand correctly they are actually running a design contest? Does this mean anyone could be creating my a logo? How would I know that it`s not just another pretty picture? I need to be sure it meets my customers/clients needs not my `emotional` needs? And that it`ll reproduce well.

Twobears  
    Hello stoneledge,

Thanks for your comments!

I know my business (pet grooming) and have been successful in the past, but I`m not sure i know how to get a logo that would be meaningful to my target audience. I want to be sure it`s meaningful to them and not just something I like. It`s easy to be `emotional` I want something that works. I read about a very high-end company `Landor` that specializes in Identity/logo designs, they say that the actual drawing of the logo is the easy part, it`s getting the input needed for drawing the logo is the toughest task! What input???? 

twobears
    I gotta tell you that I`ve looked at numerous on-line Logo/Identity Companies, and I`m leaning towards 

http://www.performancelogo.com

After reviewing their Beyond Opinion Intake Form, I realized that I`d overlooked some very  important aspects of positioning/branding my business. It wasn`t easy but now I have a much clearer direction and in some ways I feel I understnd my business better than I ever have!
    I can`t wait to place the order and see there logo concepts with the written rational they`re going to provide.
    Sincerly - twobears
    Hey Thanks!  Moneydashbanddotcom for turning me on tohttp://www.performancelogo.com

I looked at lots of online Logo Package companies and was most impressed with the one you mentioned.
    I saw your logo, it was so simple but yet so meaningful.
    FYI   I purchased 5 of your money bands and gave them to my friends.  It really works nice.
    If anyone is interested there address is:

http://www.money-band.com

Sincerely - twobears    

• PrimoSitesPrimoSites subscriber Posts: 0
    I have designed logos for my clients in the past. Input has a lot to do with description. Your target audience is important, however no one knows your business concept as well as you do. Your ability to describe what you are doing, what you want, and what you target audience will want is imperative. You also have to explain business colors used, any old logos that past customers would recognize and follow, along with your ideas for your company image.

I am a  graphic designer, on any project most of my time is spent in trying to visualize what my client is trying to portray in words. Turning words into a graphic is not always easy. I have no problem saying it takes an artist and a client who is willing to take the time to describe and re describe until the vision becomes clear.

The past company and old logo could help you in your new venture. Any carry over clients would be a plus! The best way to do this is to upgrade the old logo keeping the most recognizable elements. Major companies redesign logos in this manor to update their image but retain national following that their older logo already gets. 

The question is do you have enough of a following to try to redesign?

I hope this helps you in some small way. If you need more information please feel free to contact me.

• moneydashbanddotcommoneydashbanddotcom subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey TwoBears, glad you`re diggin performancelogo.com - I think they rock.
    In regards to dothingsright comment about their intake is like a Creative Brief. It is I guess, but the way they go about it is totally different, and in the end it`s more useful, quite frankly. In my experience creative briefs are neither creative or brief, and usually not very useful for the client. These guys had a way of cutting to the important stuff and turning words into images very effortlessly. Hard to explain without experiencing it. Plus you get everything you need. I priced it all out, and if you add it all up theirs is a great value. I had gotten quotes from freelancers and they were all over the place, and didn`t include printing or templates, ad agencies were much higher, and while the cheap ass logos online are just that - cheap, they don`t seem to include everything, not to mention the same smart process. At the end of the day, I just didn`t trust them to look out for my best interests.The guys at Performance Logo get it all done for you, the right way first time out. Good luck twobears!
  • ginger84ginger84 subscriber Posts: 0

Hi,
    designing a logo for your company is VERY important, you don`t want to
    leave it up to fate, you want to be actively involved in the process
    and making it come to life. i can help you.
    i am a graphic designer, with 5+ years of professional logo design. i
    currently work for an ad agency, where much of my work is in concept
    logo design and i spend much of my free time freelancing as well.
    i understand everyone is on a budget and wants to get as much as they
    can for as little as they can spend, so i can be flexible on costs. we
    can work something out together.
    check out my portfolio, and we can make a time to talk about ideas.   http://www.coroflot.com/gingerbryan
    thanks!