WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Selling your Idea Internationaly?

DavinciDavinci subscriber Posts: 2
edited January 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
 I want to know if a U.S patent is protected in China?
If you have a U.S patent and want to market your idea in China do you need a International patent?
In 1992 I came up with a new use for a long time established product. After 8 yrs and seeing no developement. I decided hire a patent attorney at a Patent attorney law firm in Kansas City. I  paid 500.00 in 2000 to do the patent search.  My attorney told me it was patented in 1994. The person who owned the patent had vague drawings and a very vague explanation on the new use of my idea.  The firm told me that I could patent certain parts of the new use I had developed, but could not obtain a patent on my version of the Idea. Without giving the new use away it will be used in the Automobile industry.  My question is, because this guys version of our idea is vague in nature, is it possible to get my version of this "new use" designed and get designe protection or other types of protection other than what I was told?  and share in the royalties and profits if automobile manufacture picks up the idea?  What about obtaining a International Patent or designe protecton in China or the Middle East?  I would love to see this become a reality.  I dream about it.  I`ve eaten drank and slept over this idea for the past 16 yrs I just can`t sit still any longer.  I wan`t to follow my dreams.....
 Davinci2008-1-23 0:8:54

Comments

• truongmailxtruongmailx subscriber Posts: 0
    I`M SO SORRY TO REPLY THIS POST.

My name is Mai Wilcox- Vincent`s wife who used to be known as iouone2 on Start up nation. Please forgive me about my english.  You may or maynot know about this matter.

To whom it may concern.

I`m so sorry and sad to let you know that my husband -Vincent Wilcox has passed away on 12/17/2007. At that time, I really didn`t know what to do beside moaning about his death. He was a good husband, a best friend to me and to everyone who knew him.

Thanks for letting me post.
    Mai Wilcox
  • DavinciDavinci subscriber Posts: 2
    I`m sorry to hear the passing of your husband Mrs. Wilcox.  May Gods comforting spirit be with you durring your time of grief.  I did not know him or even knew that he frequented this site.  Knowing that he visited here is apreciating the fact he enjoyed his creative thinking and wanted to help those who wanted to grow and develope their dreams. I`m sure he will be missed by all who knew him.
     I might of made a mistake in using my screen name as Davinci it sounds like, you might of mistaken my screen name as that of Vincents.  If that is the case I`m sorry.  God bless.   Marco - Screen name Davinci
    I know its got to be the heading that is attracting you all in.  but gees guys out of 65 hits and no responses I`m wondering if I said something wrong here?  Can someone help me ask the right question?  I`m honestly trying to find some awnsers.   I mean companies and corporations are stingy here in the states!  Many of these corporations have their own engineering and designe dept. research and development departments.  They are exclusive and don`t take to kindly to outside small folk like us trying to make our dreams and ideas a reality and make a buck!!  They want it all to themselves.  I`m saying some are that way.  Their are some who are willing to listen, but its hard busting in.  I work in the middle east.  I know china and japan and many countries in the middle east are looking for opprotunities for venture and new product development and if you have a good idea they might be the ones to go too!!  "By selling your idea internationally" maybe you will have a better opprotunity to find capital a manufacture and a way to get your idea developed and sold,much cheaper than here in the states.  Europeans and Asians are looking for a competitive edge against us Americans.  So I say if our big dogs don`t want to give us a chance then lets take our ideas and dreams and go else where over seas.  So to my questions, "If you have a U.S patent can you go to china and still be protected or do you need a international patent too?  If someone has a U.S patent, but does not have it protected Internationaly is it legal to get a international patent, lets say in china and get it developed?  I know I`m nieve, but teach me something then...I would like to know. 
    Ron,  Thanks for the info!  I`m not good at this stuff I guess.  I just decided lately to get going with seeing if I can get this idea off the ground even if it doesn`t belong to me.  I contacted the owner of the patent some time after I found out he had the patent.  He told me he could tell I was disapointed that he had beaten me to the patent office.  He was pretty cool about and said that if I wanted to do something with it I could.  He didn`t have a lot of time to devote to it, and knew that it was going to take more people than just himself to get it going.  Which was positive, right?  well tha was years ago, things got tough with me as well and I wasn`t able to do anything with either.  It`s haunting me though, and I tried getting a hold of him again and I`ve lost contact with him.  As of today I still don`t see this idea in the Automobil industry.  So maybe theirs still a chance.  Anyway again thanks for your response. It means a lot.  Marco
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    a patent lawyer could help with this.
    James, 
    thanks for your response.  I`ve read many of your responses to others questions within the forums.  I feel privledged to have got a response from you as well! As short as it was. Thanks.   I have talked to a patent attorney again I paid 500.00 for a general patent search.   "In 1992 I came up with a new use for a long time established product. After 8 yrs and seeing no developement. I decided hire a patent attorney at a Patent attorney law firm in Kansas City. I  paid 500.00 in 2000 to do the patent search.  My attorney told me it was patented in 1994. The person who owned the patent had vague drawings and a very vague explanation on the new use of my idea.  The firm told me that I could patent certain parts of the new use I had developed, but could not obtain a patent on my version of the Idea. Without giving the new use away it will be used in the Automobile industry."  Maybe I already know what my awnser is I just havn`t excepted the fact that someone else has the patent, and that person hasn`t done anything with it.  I have the drawing within the patent search book I got.  I know that it doesn`t look anything like how I visualise it looking like and being used for.  But your advice is probably right since if I want protection to even discuss this idea at least I know a patent lawyer can give me the advice I`m looking for.  Thanks for steering me back where I need to start anyway. 
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    legalzoom does not file patent applications anymore.  anybody know why?