WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Newbie Here...

ShhhhShhhh subscriber Posts: 2
edited February 2007 in Marketing
Hello all,
I just came across the forum today, it is fantastic I`m truly enjoying going through the previous posts and hopefully becoming an active member in this group!
Anyway to get started I have a hypothetical question thats based on reality for you folks... I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum...
on page 75 of the February 2007 issue of Entrepreneur, there is a discussion about a company helps companies advertise on eggs. Using laser they will display your companies advertisment on eggs... the biggest company to bite so far has been CBS who is advertising their TV shows on these eggs.
Now there was a little background... here`s the question. Suppose instead of needing "laser technology" to imprint advertisemtns on these eggs suppose it was hand written. and all this company did was bring CBS to the egg manufacturer to advertise there shows.
1.) How does a fledgling company. Still a sole proprietorship limited resources implement an idea like this?
2.) How do you get in touch with egg manufacturer about placing ads on their eggs for revenue?
3.) How do you get in touch with cbs about putting ads on eggs and not getting laughed out of the room (or the mail box).
4.) How do you get companies to take you seriously?
5.) Finally how do they make money?? CBS is paying the egg manufacturer to advertise on their eggs how do you fit in?
I thank you all for taking the time to read my post, I apologize again if it is in the wrong forum. I look forward to reading your responses.
Sincerely,
Shhhh

Comments

• ShhhhShhhh subscriber Posts: 2
    Craig,
    Thank you for your reply. I completly agree the concept sounds crazy. I was just trying to use it as an example of a basic idea. Bring company "A" (in need of advertising) to company "B" (Blank canvas of advertising space, or in need of additional revenue)
    You have this idea how Company "A" can get their message out to a much larger audience. and you have an idea how Company "B" can find a new source of income.
    Lets forget about the eggs... and say that the above statement was your basic premise. It`s simply an idea,
    how do you go about getting Company "A" and "B" interested, considering they didn`t know they needed this idea in the first place.
    And since basically all you are doing is telling Company "A" and "B" your idea how is it possible for you to make money on a strategy like that.?
    I appreciate your response, and hope to keep hearing from you kind folks.
    Thanks,
    Shhhh
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    It`s interesting. But it does come down to the numbers.I run an "earthborn & handmade" products site and although this is "earthborn" advertising, I must agree with CraigL. If I paid one cent per egg, what do I expect my return to be? Would a person look at the egg, then leave the kitchen and go to the net to see my site? Would they save the left over shell to remember where to go at a later date? To both questions I say, no.All advertising comes down to exactly what CraigL said. "We [biz owner]  suddenly get $1,000 dropped in our lap, and we really want to
    use it for advertising where we`d get the biggest bang for the buck."So whether is eggs or a billboard, the capitol we have to invest, must return way more than what was spent to advertise... I do think CBS is involved to gain the return on the novelty rather than the actual public awareness of the product being advertised. Think of all the news article written about, "check out what CBS is doing." Matter of fact, that`s how you heard about it. But have you ever seen an egg with the ad?I am all about grassroots (cheap) methods of advertising. After all, that`s the only method I can afford, yet I know without advertising no one is likely to know about ElusiveTreasures.com.
  • ShhhhShhhh subscriber Posts: 2
    Craig and Vincent,
    Thank you so much for your answers to my questions, I guess it`s pretty clear, I`m a long way from having the knowledge and knowhow I need to succeed in any business. Your answers helped me out... and I truly appreciate that. I hope to continue posting and asking questions... and in time hopefully being able to provide some answers of my own!
    Thanks again,
    Shhhh
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    CraigL... (musical mistake) That`s funny. I used to follow the rule... if you make a mistake on one part of the progression, make the same `mistake` at the same point of the progression the next time it comes around. Everyone (in the audience) will think you did it on purpose. I may have been a few years behind you in the learning curve, but we must have a similar mentality of stage performance!Shhh... Also remember, just because we (Craig & I) didn`t find value in this idea, doesn`t mean there isn`t value. After all, we are not marketing Gods. We simply pointed out some issues you will need to find ways to overcome.