WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Countertop Display needed

FreeHouseHelpFreeHouseHelp subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2015 in Sales

Greetings - I have an opportunity to sell a unique soap that I make in a local camping store.  The retailer has asked me to provide a small countertop display (cardboard perhaps) that will sit by the cash register.  In the future I may be selling my soap at other retail locations, but for now I just need a few of these display pieces.  I`ve only been able to find companies that sell in large quantities.  Any help?

FreeHouseHelp6/3/2008 10:32 AM

Comments

• GetAGripGetAGrip subscriber Posts: 14
    Jennifer,

Have you considered making them yourself for now, while you only need a few.  If they are just cardboard displays, minus printing and images, this could be pretty easy. 
    I would find one in a store that is similar in size that you need, buy good thick stock lamenated cardboard and go to work, modeling it from one you have seen elsewhere. 
    Just a thought, I`m always trying to do things on my own to save a little dough!

Thanks...Trent
  • TapeSealTapeSeal subscriber Posts: 5
    Hi Jennifer, we just went thru this very thing!  Here`s our problem and solution

We are new to the industry and don`t know if we will ultimately get aisle space when we get into larger stores, some stores want small displays on the counter, while some tell us that in the future they want floor displays.  When you are also dealing with issues of quantity the product needs to fit well.  So, we consulted the packaging company that we ordered our shipping boxes from.  They wanted a ton of money before a floor display was even cut or printed.  It was way out of our budget AND we didn`t know if this would be our long term display anyway.

We looked in the phone book for `DIE CUTTER` and found a small outfit down the road from us.  With the $95 set up fee, cost of building the die, our cost for materials (enough for 200 boxes), and 200 punches = approx $500 

We went out and found the paperboard material at a company called www.uline.com as they have lots of different options for boxes.  The nice part is that you can buy only a few at a time.  Then you could get graphics printed in sticker form as in the example above.  The only reason we didn`t go this route is because our product wouldn`t fit `just right` in their standard options.  You will pay way more on price per box than the above scenario but if you only need a couple it might be the best solution.

A good way to figure out how to design a box is to go to one of your local stores, even a drug store, and ask the manager if you can take one of their nearly empty POS boxes that is otherwise going to be trashed.  Most all the time they are going to be thrown in the trash.  I even got some from my local Wal-Mart just for asking.  That way you can dismantle the box to understand how the folds and cuts all work together.

Send me a PM if you need assistance with building a prototype box.  My husband might be able to help you out.

I hope this helps!!!
  • FreeHouseHelpFreeHouseHelp subscriber Posts: 1

Tammy,
    Amazing advice!  Thank you so much!  I`m going to visit some Mass/Drug stores tomorrow and look for `example` boxes as you suggested. -Jennifer

That sounds great.  Let me know if you need John to help you with designs.  He said he would! 
    Don`t be shy at these stores, just ask!!
    HI Jennifer, how have your boxes come along?  If you click on my profile, I`ve added a picture of the box that John designed / prototyped for the die cutter.  We then print up the graphics on our laser printer and there you have it!
     Hope you had a great 4th of July!
    Tammy  
  • FreeHouseHelpFreeHouseHelp subscriber Posts: 1
    Wonderful!  Thanks for the lead.  -Jennifer
    I`m fortunate to have a creative husband  I think we checked out Meridian as one of the options and for sure Uline.  Only problem for us was our dimensions were so unique that trying to fit a 12 pack of our product didn`t work out.  Otherwise, agreed that going premade is the best route whenever possible!
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You can customize a cardbnoard with your own design that you can use. You need some quality prints to work with it, try http://www.digiteksf.com/vinyl-banners/
  • edward222edward222 subscriber Posts: 2
    I think before jumping into sales and profits, its better to keep on track with the latest tax news so that you will be updated in a possible tax inflation. Here's the best website reporting the latest offshore news http://www.offshorenewsflash.com/
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Try postcards prints from http://www.digitekprinting.com/postcards they are best for marketing and advertising materials.
  • Adam JonesAdam Jones subscriber Posts: 124 Silver Level Member
    Collapsible riser portable display stand store counter top display craft will prove better and anywhere else a display stand to show products off is needed. A good way to figure out how to design a box is to go to one of your local stores, even a drug store, and ask the manager if you can take one of their nearly empty POS boxes that is otherwise going to be trashed.