WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What are the essentials for website exposure/networking?

minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
Hello,
Does anyone know what are the few things that are essential to a website`s exposure?  I know links, content, metatags and keywords.  But what about Yahoo Directory,  Zoominfo, Digg, Twitter, Facebook and other sites like these?  Are they worth the time and expense? 

Thanks!
Tracy

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40

Hello,Does anyone know what are the few things that are essential to a website`s exposure?  I know links, content, metatags and keywords.  But what about Yahoo Directory,  Zoominfo, Digg, Twitter, Facebook and other sites like these?  Are they worth the time and expense?   Thanks!Tracy  A presence on directories and social websites does = more website exposure. But I would not pay for it, you can gain exposure but putting in some time and effort not $$. Also, while web grader provides some nice information, it is not totally accurate.  ~Rolandvwebworld6/27/2008 2:43 AM
  • minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
    I used Web Grader on both of my sites and that is when I started getting overwhelmed!  There are so many options and my sites are very different.  When I got to the Zoominfo and I couldn`t figure out how to insert my companies I started wondering if this stuff was really worth my time to figure out.  One of my sites is easier than the other to work with - the kids geology site.  The other site where I sell things like bookends, candleholders, windchimes and other decor items made of rock and mineral is more difficult.  Customers love the items but I don`t think that most people know that these types of products exist so trying to compete in searches for "bookends" doesn`t work very well.  I think maybe at least for that site, I should focus on joining sites where people can see the products like findgift.com and yahoo shopping.

Tracy

• minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
    Thank you so much for all of your input!
    Jeff - I will look into all of these shopping outlets.  I think these are going to be important for us.  I haven`t run across any others but if I do I`ll let you know for your list.
    Craig - I`m definitely going to do the Wordpress blog as you suggested!  Great idea.  I used to do ebay and I`m sure its a good idea I just got tired of the time it took.  I`ll look at it again because I know you are right about the visibility.
    Tracy
    minimegeology7/2/2008 12:14 PM