WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Creating an Auction Site?

calvincalvin subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
I`m looking to create an online auction site for a specific niche.
Do you guys think it`ll be easier to purchase a software auction program like PHP Pro Bid to build the framework, then modify from there... or just hire a programmer to build a site from scratch?
Keep in mind I have very limited funds and absolutely no programming experience.

Comments

• calvincalvin subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
    I would personally use existing (read out of beta testing) software and if needed hire someone to extend / integrate the script.  What work I have contracted out has never been cheap and if you don`t know what to look for you can get someone who takes a pre-existing solution modifies the "face" and then sells it back to you at 3 times the cost.  Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah... this was my thought process. 
    I`ve looked through e-lance/scriptlance and alot of designers offer to designer "skins" for php pro bid.
    Modifying existing software might save me alot $$$.  Who knows how much building a custom auction site from the ground up will cost....
  • knockknockhloknockknockhlo subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    Hi ,
         what i know , even you are sure that certain kind of traffic drive  to your site, it doesnt necessarily mean , they `ll going to buy from your site  or in short "conversion ratio" is biggest threat , i saw some of my friends who managed to get some traffic but didnt get any good sales , reason is simple , "what you got something special in your website , which none else got particularly ebay , amazonetc. etc"
  • JaredJamesJaredJames subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello Calvin,

I`m glad I joined on this site because I too have an idea for an online auction site. It will be definitely different and will fill a gap in the market.

What I`d like to know is did you create that site? If so, how did you do it? I need some help on developing this idea too. What will I need?
  • toycardirecttoycardirect subscriber Posts: 4
    I too am actually looking into doing this!  I think if you are limited on funds you should develop on the ProBid framework.
  • JaredJamesJaredJames subscriber Posts: 0
    wow. Thanks for the ProBid tip. They look like they have some great skins on there. So what does a person need to know to build the site from there? I should still have a designer or programmer build the site right?

Also, what about tech support? Does ProBid offer this? Should I find a company to outsource that to?