WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

business consultant

tommyjeanstommyjeans subscriber Posts: 4
edited March 2008 in Business Planning
Hi All,

I`m looking to open a little dessert restaurant. I`ve ran my own business before for 3yrs but I want this one to have more success since its a longer term investment. 

Where can I look for business consultants that have expertise in the food industry?

Generally how much do they cost?

Thank for any help

Tommy

Comments

• RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    One of my mentoring clients is a CPA and I think he has some level of expertise in this area, although I am not certain.
    He is in the forum here.
    I only have his personal email address not his work email address.
    I have just looked and his name in here is PeterCPA.
    Rgds,
    Ric
  • KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Always worth the call (free!) is SCORE and your local SBDC.
    Good luck!
  • tommyjeanstommyjeans subscriber Posts: 4

I have a small consulting business and have opened some ten restaurants. I would be happy to help you all I could and there is no charge. Thanks for the plug KevDev, I am a councilor at SCORE also. I just helped a young lady open a Cupcake business and she is setting the town on fire. In fact I am just finishing up an outline on how to start a small business I would love to share it with you and see if it helps answer some of the questions you need answered. If you are interested at all contact me at martin@bccbusiness.com.Good Luck

hi martin
    i just emailed you.
    thanks
    tommy
  • marsmars subscriber Posts: 0
    I dont know where to put this so please bare with me.
    I started a small service business of booking a few student tours in which I would like to
    move forward with. I made up a company name for insurance purposes but dont know
    how to file it. I do have a business registration for the State of NJ.
    I live in Fla. but I do business in New Jersey and most of my tours take place in
    the Northeast. Can I file an LLC in florida and still be protected as a company and would I be recognized as a company even if i dont do business in Fla.? I read about filing as a foreign company but then I would have to pay taxes in two States.Is that right?
    How do I move forward and get this right.
    any ideas?
    thanks

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Mars,
    Some general information:
    Business entity`s are governed by the State. If you create an LLC in Florida no one else will be able to create a LLC in Florida with the same name.
    Registering as a foreign entity in New Jersey - allows you to do business there.
    If you want to "protect" your name and prevent others from using it - you will need to file a trademark with the US patent and trademark office.
    For answers to your specific situation, you should consult with an attorney. I can recommend a good one if you desire.