WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website for SEO and Idea

cubemonkeycubemonkey subscriber Posts: 11
edited October 2007 in Website Critique
Hey everyone brand new here to SUN. Came across it while using "stumbleupon" which I love by the way.  I wanted it to involve 2 aspect of my life that I really enjoy, computers and guitar. Anyways here is the jist I thought of: I was always going on business trips and vacations and I was sick of having to leave my expensive guitar at home. It`s always iffy putting them through baggage check. So I did some searching to find a rental guitar in the city I was visiting and I didn`t really find anything on a professional level. So here I am trying to start up my website business renting guitars in my area. I think of it as 2 fold right now. Me having rental guitars for my area and trying to take on partners who will do it in other major cities and having a central guitar rental site on internet.I designed the site myself (kinda). I downloaded a free template but I had to learn CSS and all that cool stuff to modify it. It took my about 2 weeks to get right but I think it turned out OK.anyways here it is....... www.fretsforrent.comIt`s already showing up on google withing the first 3 pages since I guess there isn`t really a demand for this yet. Just search rental guitar, rent a guitar, etc... Some places do "rent to own" stuff so don`t let them confuse you!Also I bought some adwords stuff so please DONT click those! haha thanks.cubemonkey2007-10-25 16:9:13

Comments

• ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    neat idea. I would think you could contact a national chain maybe Guitar Center or something like that and see if they would offer guitars. It beats you having to build up locations in each city and allows you to expand your products, electric guitar, accousic guitars, drums, microphones, etc.
  • cubemonkeycubemonkey subscriber Posts: 11

neat idea. I would think you could contact a national chain maybe Guitar Center or something like that and see if they would offer guitars. It beats you having to build up locations in each city and allows you to expand your products, electric guitar, accousic guitars, drums, microphones, etc.
    Yes I know that would be optimal right? But what would they need me for you know? They could just do it themselves since they already have the infrastructure in place, I don`t know why they haven`t already. I was hoping to get a chain of individual owners with extra <500$ guitars laying around that would be dedicated to the idea. I just don`t really know how to get word out there but hopefully I can learn some ways here.
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Interesting concept. I agree that you should contact national chains, or music stores in various areas to see if they would partner with you.In "Extra Stuff", I would make sure to put in a line about these items being returned; I`m assuming you want all of it back, except for maybe picks and strings, but I don`t see it actually stated.I think maybe a little work on the main page copy. I see the humor you`re putting into it, but maybe refine it just a bit.The colors and layout are ok, but personally I`m not crazy about the top area being so much wider than the body.And since when is a Squire considered high end?
    Yes I agree I guess it would be much better to partner with them but I`m just worried that they don`t need me and would just steal my idea. I don`t really know how business stuff works. Thanks for the feedback I will clear that "extra stuff" up and make it clear. And ya the main page was just my type of humor. I wanted this to be fun for me and shy away from the serious business stuff! But I`ll work on it. HA! its not high end but it`s what I have! Thats my other major problem is the security deposit issue. The person needs to be willing to take a hit on their CC for that. That`s also why I don`t think its practical to offer a guitar over $500 you know. Do you see any other way around it?
    Actually I liked the humor .... perhaps just a little rewording or changing the order of the text.Yeah, the deposit could be a big factor, but I understand needing to protect yourself from possible theft. And without a good list of customers that have rented from you already and will back up your service, it may be a hard sell. One alternative, for your location anyway, could be a small studio they could use and never let them leave with the guitar; charge by the hour or something for using the studio area ( just a thought off the top of my head ).
  • VinceTheTeeShirtGuyVinceTheTeeShirtGuy subscriber Posts: 1
    Erm... the site looks fine to me, but you don`t mention what people are going to be playing through if they rent an electric.
    Presumably you are catering to tourists and not to touring bands who would have their equipment or get their backline from a local production company, anyway. Maybe you could get a couple of small practice amps or a Pod if they just want to noodle through headphones in a hotel room.

I`m not too sure that a Squier Affinity qualifies as "high end" either, though a lot can be done with them if they are set-up well. Maybe you should stress that the instruments are looked after by a qualified luthier. Or get at least some MIM Strats.

Oh, and giving a stranger a gig bag is just asking for trouble, IMHO. If they wreck the guitar they can say "Well, dude, you should have given me a proper hard case!" no matter what they did to the guitar.They`d still be liable, of course, but it`s just looking for trouble, again IMHO.

Best of luck, it sounds like an interesting idea!
    Vince.
    iouone2 - Thanks for all the great ideas and insite. The reason I stopped at guitar is b/c 1. they are easy to move, 2. I didn`t think I was ready to start any bigger you know? I don`t really know the demand for any of this stuff. 3. I have no idea about any other instruments and what is considered good!. So basically that`s where I`m at mentally right now. As for you talking about the touring musicians renting I had never even thought about that nor do I feel ready to supply guitars to them. I mean what if something goes wrong with the guitar and it prevents them from doing a gig? I wouldn`t want to be the cause of that I`d feel terrible! I was only thinking of the week long vacationer, business man on a trip kind of person. As for damaged stuff I have written up a page long liability type thing that has charges for non returned items and damaged property. I guess that will work since I`ll have the security deposit. And hey if you have older guitars laying around that you would be willing to rent in your area I`d be more than interested in working with you. I have already contacted someone in Seattle about integrating. VinceTheTeeShirtGuy - Thanks man I completely overlooked I didn`t have my amp up there! I have a cheapo amp and am going to purchase the whole headphones in the hotel kit this weekend. Yes I know the Squier isn`t high end but I don`t know what to call my packages then. Any ideas? Maybe just call them by name of the guitar? I can`t go too high end as I said before b/c the security deposit will be too high.For the gig bag I completely agree but I seriously have 0 space to keep hardshell cases at my place. I do have one for my Breedlove and I`d def be giving that out in the case. Thanks for the advise!
  • VinceTheTeeShirtGuyVinceTheTeeShirtGuy subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks man I completely overlooked I didn`t have my amp up there! I have a cheapo amp and am going to purchase the whole headphones in the hotel kit this weekend.

Yeah, it doesn`t have to be a BIG amp, especially if guys are meant to be noodling away in their hotel rooms after a long day of meetings. Last thing you want is to give people a Marshall head and a 4x12 and then get complaints that the tone sucked because they couldn`t crank it up without getting complaints!  Maybe the Pods (or some other sort of emulator) would be best?

Oh, and don`t forget that, being hire gear, the customers will probably expect a few scuffs and dings. You can probably save some $ by buying stuff cheap off eBay or trawling sites such as musicians` friend for old demo gear.

Yes I know the Squier isn`t high end but I don`t know what to call my packages then. Any ideas? Maybe just call them by name of the guitar? I can`t go too high end as I said before b/c the security deposit will be too high.

Uhm... good question, and I can see your point. The problem is that a lot of guys, seeing that immediately think "High end? My Custom Shop Strat is high end!" and you`re immediately disagreeing with them, before they even click on something.

Maybe you could go by the guitar configuration? Electrics basically break down into single coil/humbuckers with flat or curved necks, don`t they? (pretty much, unless you count Jacksons and fat Strats) Maybe you could have a sort of  table with radio buttons  where the customers choose their guitar configuration and then you show them the Squier?

Best of luck, sounds like a really neat business!
    VinceTheTeeShirtGuy10/18/2007 5:52 PM
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I wouldn`t even list "high end" gear. Just list what you have or can get. The rental price depends on the gear you are wanting to rent.  That way you don`t alienate any potential renters by classifying the gear they want or currently own.
    Vince/Iouon2Thanks for the Tips. I got rid of the "high/low end" stuff and just listed the product. That is a much better idea. Great advice.Vince: great idea on the buying used stuff. I actually buy all my guitars from craigslist and just got a GREAT one last night for half off! Glad to see we`re on the same page of thinking.  Still need to get the amp stuff up this weekend.
    What about renting them to beginners .... people thinking about learning to play but not sure about buying their first guitar until they know they really want to do it? Be a good way for them to experiment for a few days before making an actual purchase.
    Great idea Webline. I could actually offer the DVD`s that helped me and a guitar for dummies book also with a "beginner package". Thanks! I`ll try to get that and a few other changes up this weekend.