WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Using Craigslist And Other Free Ad Sites To get Traffic

Rich321Rich321 subscriber Posts: 1
edited November 2007 in Marketing
Has anyone ever used Craigslist and other free ad sites to get traffic ? I have had good results using this method . Rich3212007-9-12 22:47:24

Comments

• ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    we`ve tried using craigslist but your business services or products need to fit into that type of business model. For us High end salon products and services, simply don`t perform well. People on Craigslist are looking for GOOD deals or even slightly used products. We also tried using them to find stylists, again the applications we got and people we met with were really below average. IMHO I think you need to find places that match your businesses professional level. Not to say that selling products on Craigslist is bad it just wont work for some but will be excellent for others.
  • ideaGENERATORideaGENERATOR subscriber Posts: 4
    It is worth a try.  I find Craigslist a great place to start, but in the end it is more work than it is worth.  If you have a product that is selling...then keep with it.  But time is money, so don`t waste too much time for little results.

StumbleUpon is my fav method to generate traffic.  Because all the work you do now - improves your ability in the future to generate traffic.  The more you build up your character - the more your votes weigh, and the more traffic you recieve.

All your work adds up to something - and that`s why it is one of the greatest free tools out there.
  • Rich321Rich321 subscriber Posts: 1
    Craigslist is a great way to generate niche traffic depending on what you are selling. Myspace and Backpage are also great places to get traffic from. Kijiji is another free ad site that is owned by Ebay. I have heard they may even rival Craigslist in the near future.
  • williamwilliam subscriber Posts: 2
    For business services it is a great resource.  One, you can pick up business.  We`ve done business with new customers via Craigslist.  Two, it works to support links back to your site.  Just don`t over post or Google will begin to classify that technique as SPAM.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    For business services it is a great resource.  One, you can pick up business.  We`ve done business with new customers via Craigslist.  Two, it works to support links back to your site.  Just don`t over post or Google will begin to classify that technique as SPAM.

I personally would never go searching on Craiglist for business services. I don`t think it presents a professional image to advertise in that type of environment. I would never advertise my business on Craigslist or similar sites - even if it is free!

Dale King
    DKing11/12/2007 11:14 AM
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    I wouldn`t promote my services on Craigslist - it would devalue my services.  Too many "tire-kickers" and people looking for the cheapest possible services.
    However, I do use many free online directories to promote my services.  The directories are specific to the design industry and are Internet locations researched by potential clients to find individuals and firms offering my type of services.
    - J.
  • MistressofMarketingMistressofMarketing subscriber Posts: 2
    Wow, I totally disagree. I`ve been using Craigslist for years and it is one of the first places I check for business services. Part of the reason why is because the people who advertise are usually independent and my budget doesn`t allow for me to hire a big firm, and partly because a certain type of community minded person tends to use Craigslist. I`ve gotten jobs, bought goods, services, made friends, and even started my own social networking event that ended up lasting several years. I think CL is a great resource that gets a bad rap, particularly when more and more people are finding out about it and using it.
    It sounds like people are making HUGE assumptions about who uses CL and why. Not everyone who uses it is cheap and a time waster. Making those judgments just eliminates a whole potential customer group.