WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Websites

mike7727mike7727 subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2007 in Marketing
I work with new business owners everyday.  My favorite subject to talk about is websites.  My company sells websites.  The first response to my question, Do you have a website?  I already have one.  My next question is how do you draw traffic to your site?  Most of the people say it is on my business card.  Well not to be rude.  That is almost worthless.  Having a website without marketing the link is like having a house and not having an address with the United States Post Office.  You are going to get nothing.  To my customers I tell them if you are going to spend money on a website with these companies ask them how they are going to help you market this site.  Anyone ever been in this situation before?

Comments

• ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    funny how powerful word of mouth business is and the all powerful business card (which just happens to be one of the cheapest things you can get printed).
  • Stew819Stew819 subscriber Posts: 0
    Some of the other things on drawing people to your website are also pretty low tech (besides busines cards).  You can try the following and see if they might help
    Have a links section on your website where you can partner with other people in other busines, almost like an affliates program.
    Try using Google Ads, this will help in listing and getting other people to see your web site
    Keep some statistics on your website so that you can see hits, or who is coming to the website.
    Improve on the Meta tags in your website so that more common words are used to help find your website.
    My website is still under construction, but if you want to take a look it is the following:
    www.flyinganvildesign.com</A>
    Any feedback on it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Jim
  • mike7727mike7727 subscriber Posts: 1
    Do not have a favorite method.  I believe the key to this is to take as many avenues as possible.  I would favor something where you can actually track your results.  Such as a link on superpages.com or something like that.  I believe in putting in on everything you can but a link with superpages.com lets people that are doing local searches have the ability to click on the site and from other sites such as msn, yahoo, google, and many other search engines.  Also can see how many impressions your site is getting versus how many people actually click on to your site.
    Jim those are some great things to do.  I want you to look at superpages.com.  This is the #1 online yellow pages on the internet.  It gets billions of page views per year.  The reason for this is the partnerships with search engines such as google, yahoo, msn.  This is a lot less expensive than google and you get extended distribution onto google and yahoo.  Go to MSN.com click on yellow pages it will say powered by Verizon Superpages.  This is also local searches versus yahoo pullling up all kinds of national advertisers.  Check this out and see if any of your competition is on this.  If they are not this could be as cheap as 30 bucks per month for top position.  Let me know what you think.
    Mike