WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Web developer recommendation

skbohlerskbohler subscriber Posts: 11
Hi everyone,
I found a young man who`s really good at web programming. Rates are very reasonable and service (in my deep experience) is wonderful.
He`s recently gone solo and I want him to make it. So, I thought I`d recommend him.
His name`s Greg (last name omitted) and his site is: iosysdevelopment.com
If you contact him, please let him know you heard about him via startupnation.
-Steve

Comments

• CoppermanCopperman subscriber Posts: 2
    Skbohler,
    You could invite him to join SuN, that way he can directly collaborate with tis Nation.

• starpointestarpointe subscriber Posts: 2
  • skbohlerskbohler subscriber Posts: 11
    I`m pretty sure he knows CSS.
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    He seems to have various programming talents. I hope he does well.
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    I`m not a `web programmer` and I know CSS. Can you be considered an actual programmer and not know CSS? 
  • PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5

Skbohler,
    You could invite him to join SuN, that way he can directly collaborate with tis Nation.

Seems like this is the best advice you could relay to your associate.
  • skbohlerskbohler subscriber Posts: 11
    I`ll pass that on to him!
  • leadstudiosleadstudios subscriber Posts: 1
    I`m not a `web programmer` and I know CSS. Can you be considered an actual programmer and not know CSS? 
    Sure you can be considered an acutal programmer. It depends on what kind of progamming language you work in. I know people who program in languages like Java or .Net and don`t know CSS and don`t care about it since they work on the programming / back end side of things. But if they need to I am sure they could pick up CSS very quickly.  It`s not a programming language.A web programmer should be able to program in something like PHP, jsp, asp, Object Oriented Programming (OOP), JavaScript, etc and should also be familiar with database design. HTML and CSS should be standard knowledge in my option for anyone who works with the web.
    Conceded, essentially it`s a semantic argument - my point was that CSS is the backbone of front-end development of websites, so it would be surprising if someone in the field didn`t have a good understanding of it.
  • ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    actually chuck I worked with a lot of programers that new nothing about CSS. I totally agree with the fact it`s a backbone for development however sometimes programers come from the backend and never really had to learn it. As would a front end guy trying to learn SQL. ToddF2007-1-19 23:8:59
    I hear ya - I think it`s just  semantics again, trying to define exactly what a "web developer" means.
  • JulioFJulioF subscriber Posts: 0
    Cascading Style Sheets. CSS.Our friends who are back-end (where the majority of business logic resides) developers may not realize it, but they have known about the concepts behind CSS for decades.Basically, just the gathering of parameters into a separate file (or table, for the SQL gurus) which are then accessed for various purposes. For web developers, CSS controls the visual style of the displayed pages. For legacy IBM mainframe systems, the visual screen style was/is controlled with CICS.Parameters to control configuration of printers have long been maintained in discrete files. To define and configure Tandem computer system environments, the Pathway configuration files have long been in use.The concept of computer processes communicating via interprocess messaging was first brought to market by Tandem in the early 1970`s. Client-server = a term coined in the `80`s for interprocess communication. Tandem developed and had been using the underlying concept for a decade by the time another company magically created the phrase "client-server" and marketed it as their own new idea, which it was not. The entire Tandem architecture is based on every process and device being considered as a "file" to be opened, communicated with, and closed. Messages can be variable in length, and be targeted to perform their own specific functions. There is no need to resend an entire screen`s worth of data, when only a small portion of the screen requires an update and redisplay. Just transmit the small subset of data to the screen, and have it displayed in it`s screen segment, layer, or overlay. Tandem has been doing this, again, since the 1970`s... the most recent reincarnation of this concept being known today as Web 2.0.What does this have to do with CSS? Once again, everything old is new again! For those who are new to the computer industry, CSS and Web 2.0 are the latest and greatest in web design and development. To those who know the history of computers and development, it is a rehash of existing concepts.
    JulioF2007-2-12 13:27:55
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You can know CSS without having a programming profession, but it is odd if you are a programmer and not knowing any CSS.

By the way, you can see our works at http://www.digitekprinting.com/business-cards
  • CaseyOCaseyO subscriber Posts: 34 Bronze Level Member
    Thank you a lot for the thread here. It will be helpful for me too
  • addonsolutionsaddonsolutions subscriber Posts: 0
    For those who are new to the computer industry, CSS and Web 2.0 and some blogging site like blogger , wordpress are the latest and greatest in web design and development. To those who know the history of computers and development, it is a rehash of existing concepts.