WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website Maintenance service, what do you think thus far?

tertiustertius subscriber Posts: 7
edited March 2009 in Website Critique
It`s still a work in progress.http://www.stayfreshup.com/
To come
logo - I`ve recently changed over to using wordpress for entire site, logo redesign coming.
package images - 150x150 ads in the side.
call to action on front page coming as well, I`m still thinking about the front page.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Tertiustertius3/9/2009 7:24 AM

Comments

• tertiustertius subscriber Posts: 7
    I`m actually using wordpress, and I`m not maintaining the website as of yet.  I`m still writing.
    I`ll let you know when I get to that stage.
    The tagline explains the meaning of the name of the business.
    Thanks for the input
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Maybe the main page should explain what maintenance is so that visitors know whether or not to look any further .... "Month to month website maintenance" isn`t very descriptive or informative.
    Although you list what you do for a customer, use a stronger message of why it`s beneficial for the customer.
    For an SEO service, you might want to look at your blog and see where you can add some of the basics .... if you`re not implementing them on your site, how are your services effective for others?
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    I agree with Art.  A blog is not a website, so there`s nothing to critique.  How do you expect a potential client to have any confidence in your ability to maintain a website if you don`t show any examples, testimonials or references?
    Thank you for your help Steve.
    If you would say a blog is not a website then you could also say that flickr is not a website.  Both are more specefic definitions of the larger model.
    You can use Wordpress as a CMS, if you don`t know what that is, I`ll be happy to explain it.  But that is what I`m doing.
    If you don`t think that a CMS can be a website, well, then it`s your right to have an opinion.
    Also, if, as you say, there is nothing to critique, why the post?
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    A blog is a blog - they all look pretty much the same.  Middle school kids are setting up blogs every day, so there`s no web expertise to sell on a blog.
    Yes, I know that there are some awesome sites built entirely on Wordpress or Joomla, but you are offering Website Maintenance - not Website Creation.  What if your client is using Dreamweaver, Coffecup or WYSIWYG for their web development - are you ready to take them over to maintain the sites, or are you just offering to maintain the content?  Do you have the expertise to maintain a site that is entirely hand-coded with a text editor?  None of that comes through in a blog.
    Hey again Steve,
    You bring up some valid points.  It`s even easier to upload a "hard coded" html file to a server than setting up a blog.
    I don`t personally think that the product that I use to run/display my advertising is the sole reflection of the business that I run.  Wordpress is a very powerful CMS.  No I didn`t code it myself, but I don`t need to code my personal marketing/blog, there is ample software available to do just that.
    I`m more than capable to handle XHTML and CSS and most dynamic languages.
    And like I said, my "blog" is only part of my website, it`s not "just a blog".
    If you`d be happier with my taking out the "categories" and "archives" on the front page to make it "looks less like a blog", well I`ll probably do that anyway.
    Thank you for taking the time to comment
  • jonnypak5jonnypak5 subscriber Posts: 0
    thanks so much for useful info
    http://globolstaff.com
    jonnypak58/13/2009 9:13 PM