WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Finding a Mentor

tertiustertius subscriber Posts: 7
Everyone has read somewhere that a mentor is great help and can save you a lot of time by showing you their mistakes so that you don`t make them yourself.Where do I get this mentor?

Comments

• tertiustertius subscriber Posts: 7
    Well, If I know my line.  Where do I go from there?  And I do know my line.Or should this be less specific?  Just someone that`s good with business?  I`m sure I`m not just going to have 1 business throughout my life.
    Well, let me put it this way.  On the one hand, I`m fine doing things myself.  I feel that I can do everything myself.This might be stupid.  So then on the other hand I think that I need one.  But I can justify not needing one as an insecurity on my part.  But on the other hand, maybe I miss things that I wouldn`t if I had a mentor?
  • blondieblueblondieblue subscriber Posts: 9
    Beth Downey of BoxerHaus.com asked the same question a little over a year ago.
    http://www.startupnation.com/forums/252/1/1</A>
    There were numerous responses similiar to what you received -
    And then there was this post.
    I think this is the type response you might be looking for, eh?

I guess my first question is ...
    Do you want to be a millionaire?
    Do you have the desire, to fortitude, the dream, the guts to "risk it all" ... to succeed?
    Mentoring is easy ... its easy to help folks stay on track ... if they really have the desire.
    The hard part to mentoring is finding, nuturing, grooming, and inspiring those few that truly have the desire to succeed.... but may lack the confidence to strike out on their own.
    If you have the true DESIRE to succeed ... and are looking to "break into" on-line retailing, please feel free to contact me. I enjoy helping others to "reach for the stars". Who knows, you may just grab one!!
    I recall when I was first starting to dream about GoTruckStop.com ... an associate was concerned what would happen if GoTruckStop.com failed. He reminded me that the resources I was investing was a lot of money. He asked ... "What if it fails?"
    My response to him was ... "What if it works?"
    And I`ve never looked back yet. Give me a call, if you feel I can help.
    Thomas (TJ) GraffDir. of Sales and MarketingGoTruckStop.comThe BEST Trucking and Gift Store Ever!!tgraff@gotruckstop.com</A> 
    Ok, lets put it this way.Can`t someone that is generally a good business person be a mentor to me, someone that isn`t per say experienced in textile burn mark inspection, but someone that knows how to do business, someone that has had 5 and still has 30 left in them?  This is probably where I need or think I might find help useful.I think I can do most other things myself, but how can I ever be certain?
  • blondieblueblondieblue subscriber Posts: 9
    Ok, lets put it this way.Can`t someone that is generally a good business person be a mentor to me, someone that isn`t per say experienced in textile burn mark inspection, but someone that knows how to do business, someone that has had 5 and still has 30 left in them?  This is probably where I need or think I might find help useful.I think I can do most other things myself, but how can I ever be certain?
    Youa re absolutely correct. You don`t have to be an expert in a certain field to be a mentor. You need to be an inspiration, a motivator, a guiding "angel".
    That`s exactly what I`m looking for.  Someone to guide me, I`m not going to be doing 1 thing for the rest of my life.  Currently busy studying and doing programming and sales.Maybe I need a new mentor for everything I do?  But in some fields I don`t think it is necessary, but is that my own lack of vision/knowledge or is it the truth?           
    Hmm, all things considered, I think I probably don`t need one.  Maybe I just need someone to ask questions when I have them.  And this doesn`t happen a lot.I`m finishing my degree in Computer Science with majors in Computer Science, Information Systems and Business Management. I`m also taking accounting and auditing.And my dad is also business owner.  But he`s very traditional "get a degree, get a job".  He`s not a traditional business owner, but a doctor, so he does own his business but he still works like an employee.But I think the comments I`ve received here has helped me with some questions that I had.  And then for the moment, I`ll get at it and not have any more questions. Thanks guys!
    Wouldn`t box him in like that, I mean like "all doctors write like dog poop that`s been in a blender for 3 hours"...And he is good at managing his money etc.But to get where he is, which is all that he knows, he studied, got his acclaimed degree and started working.There isn`t really a single person who runs the place, they are 8 doctors and then there is someone who does this and that etc.  But they all do the main business, they hire people for marketing etc.So can`t go there.But like I said, I think I don`t need what I really thought I did.  Until I do.  And at this moment all that I need to do and am doing I really know how to do.I think I might just need some motivation to keep going during stressful times, when there is no money in the bank and when I have a cup of water to drink.  Just to keep going and not to lose hope.  It`s pretty hard!
  • drvagdrvag subscriber Posts: 5
    I myself have become very close to an older retired, very sharp business person over a period of ten years.
    I`ll call him for coffee or a beer every now and then, when I want need some advice or feedback. 
    What usually happens is that he starts asking me questions and more importantly, challenges my answers.  Sometimes, I feel like I go away with homework (more thinking or research) to do.
    A true teacher makes you find the answer yourself.
  • ChristyDirectChristyDirect subscriber Posts: 0
    Reading the dialog here was interesting. I don`t lack for ideas and skills. But a real mentor is something I`ve really desired, and found that without such leadership in my life, I would settle for less than what is possible. A "mentor" is someone who takes a personal interest in my success, and is willing to faithfully invest at least a small amount of time to meet regularly. Someone whose counsel I can trust, and in whom I can confide. Someone who will inspire me to think bigger and be greater. Someone who will be honest with me. And I am the richer for it. I don`t think we are islands, I`m very thankful for the mentors I`ve had in my life.I have found a couple of great resources for this - one is my business networking group. A professional networking group - if the group has strong leadership, a vision that is reasonable and compelling, and consistent commitment / accountability from its members to the vision - this kind of group is not easy to find. But once I found the right group, I`ve developed relationships with more than one leader with the kind of character (integrity, passion, vision, and prudence) that I want to see in myself and the people I surround myself with. John Maxwell`s books, including the 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork, are excellent resources. Check out www.INJOY.com
    ChristyDirect2007-6-4 12:1:50
  • major01major01 subscriber Posts: 0
    i am looking for a contract buy..er,broker of notes,notebroker,broker. my objective or aim is to work for charter  financial of houston initially and then go into business for myself.initially i need a mentor to show me the ins and outs of this financial endeavor.
  • nolimits2wealthnolimits2wealth subscriber Posts: 1
    If you Desire that, it will happen for you.