WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What is your "one thing"?

CheerDirectorCheerDirector subscriber Posts: 4
I love reading success stories of other entrepreneurs.  I find it fascinating what motivates individuals to start a business.  I find that the most successful of these stick to their "one thing".  That one thing that differentiates them from their competition or that one thing that makes them a dynamic leader.  Others have written books on the topic - maybe you have read some.  However, I want to know - what is your One Thing?  What do you do really well that makes your business the greatest?

Comments

• Options
    skbohlerskbohler subscriber Posts: 11
    Hi Kindra,
    Great question! I think it`s always good for a person to think about their uniqueness and leverage it.
    Still, it`s a touch question.
    For me, I think it`s my focus on innovation and improvement. I`m always looking to create the best product/service by finding weaknesses in other products. And, I LOVE to leverage technology whenever possible!
    -Steveskbohler2006-9-26 14:18:18
  • Options
    YvetteMarieYvetteMarie subscriber Posts: 8
    Hi There,
    Im new to the forums here, but not new to SUN itself.  I thought I would jump right in and this seemed like a good place to start!
    What motivated me to start my photography business?  I`m a single mom of four children.  When one of my children ended up in ICU with brain damage from abuse, I vowed to stay home and raise my children myself.  With four, and an adamant vow to never be on welfare... the pressure was on!
    Having never had a photography class in my life.. I turned to the internet and the various forums available.. full of tutorials and help from people who were where I wanted to be!  Nothing like free help!  I then acquired an old version of photoshop, from Ebay, and spent many nights up late, after the children went to sleep.. learning the ins and outs of the program.  I was hooked!
    When I look back at my first photos, I am so thankful for the leap of faith (( or poor eye for quality )) my first clients blessed me with. 
    With nothing more than a small lower end digital camera, and windowlight and a sheet... I began mastering my trade.
    I`ve upgraded my equipment some, though I am still pretty basic, and I can now earn on average $400 per sitting.  With my lab fees only being about 10% of my profit, and no overhead, aside from the ocassional splurge on a prop, I am now feeding my four children, and adhering to my pledge to not feed my children with others tax dollars.  That feels so good to me. I still have a ways to go, but I`ve never had a client ask for a reshoot yet!
    I`d say that what *I* have to offer my clients, is a deep set appreciation for the opportunity they have given me, to protect my children and provide for them... by myself. My being appreciative pays off for my clients in so many ways!  My customer service is excellent, and the experience is positive for both of us!
    A true appreciation and recognition of the many blessings we have.. can do wonders to keep my spirits up.. and four mouths to feed certainly keeps me motivated.. ;c)
    Glad to be here,
    Yvette  YvetteMarie2006-9-26 16:17:37
  • Options
    Tigon88Tigon88 subscriber Posts: 3
    The "one thing" for me: Is to find the meaning of Life.As cheesy as it sounds but it is true.Business is just a tool/platform. It gives me a platform to overcome my fear, to really learn how to connect, to do the things that everybody think you don`t have the credentials to do, to learn about myself: what do i want to with my life? Why am i doing this?  I ask myself this question all the time. i used to be upset because i think obviously my life isn;t going anywhere that is why i keep asking myself this question but now i learn to listen when i ask myself this question.It looks like there are many things but it all comes down to one thing: Yearning to find the meaning of my life. Once you find it and accept it. You then will believe your contribution to this meaning can really makes a difference.So, have you found yours? Good luck
  • Options
    EllayEllay subscriber Posts: 6
    When I do finally have success, I think that my one thing is that I am un-orthodoxed. My methods are questionable but the outcome is always positve.
  • Options
    EllayEllay subscriber Posts: 6
    And YvetteMarie....WOW.....that is a heck of a story!!!! I am glad that you have pulled through it!! I too have welfare phobias because I was a recipient. It is embarrasing and heartbreaking to have to apply again.....that is why I want to build my business. My son needs more one on one time to learn because he is having problems learning and I have one on the way. So it is do or die......
  • Options
    sooonsooon subscriber Posts: 5
    being a good etrepreneur, i give you guys options. i have "2 things".LOL!!first is i was mischievous, since a very young age i challenge a lot of status quo, as in asking stupid questions till my mum ignore me, which to a degree i believe made me finally now i m slightly creative(thanks for your ignorance mum:P).second i like to learn new things. due to that i jump from industry to industry, and due to this, i m well verse with skills and partially make my cross pollinations skill better, which also end up inventive.well, i guest all i want to say is i m innovative, but as a better entrepreneur i make it sound like i give you options. hahahaajust joking, have fun!:)
  • Options
    keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Kindra,
    My differentiator is simplicity ... keep it simple. Life Ain`t Brain Surgery. As a consultant, I work to bring my clients back to the ground; the basics. Their marketing messages. Their communications to their employees. Their PRs. Their USP. The list goes on. I find people in general, and business people, tend to make life complicated ... it really is not. I ask a lot of questions ... easy questions ... about roots, family, friends, life, where ya been, what did you want to be when you grew up ... etc. Make people feel at ease. Easy questions make for easy answers. When easy answers flow, you figure stuff out. Opportunities start falling at your feet.
    KISS is my mantra. It works.
    R@ 
  • Options
    onlineeateronlineeater subscriber Posts: 16
    I would have to say mine is determination. There are many other smarter people than me but I will go up against anyone in the determination category.