WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

UPS verses US Postal Service

CasiCasi subscriber Posts: 5
When we started our business, we took it for granted that UPS was the best choice for our shipping needs.   We used their services exclusively for the better part of a year until we began to shop around.  Since then we have switched entirely to the US Postal Service.  Here`s why:

Shipping Rates are much lower.  I can save $4 to $5 on every shipment.

Free boxes!  That`s right - absolutely free.  This alone saves me $.85 to $1.50 per shipment.

Similar services.  USPS and UPS have similar tracking features, email notifications, address books, transactional reporting, etc.  (The only negative point is that the USPS has a more limited pick-up schedule.)

Really easy  international service.  I admit that I`ve only had to ship internationally about 5 times.  With UPS, the paperwork was a pain but with the USPS, there was no problem at all.  Very easy to generate the required labels.  (Actually, we used UPS for our first international shipment from USA to Canada and it wound up getting blocked by Canadian customs.  The package was returned to me and I had to refund my customer almost $100. )

Any thoughts / experiences?
Casi3/22/2009 8:28 PM

Comments

• TeryxTeryx subscriber Posts: 0
      I`ll add a few more reasons.  Packages can be shipped international first class airmail for very low rates if they meet the size/weight requirements.  The incidence of damage is WAY lower with USPS.  Dealing with UPS insurance is such a headache that it isn`t worth the cost.  Just write off the loss and forget it.  I`ve been using USPS exclusively for shipments all over the world for 4 years.  Not one lost or damaged shipment.  I never buy the insurance because it isn`t needed and it makes more sense to self insure.
       Here`s a tip.  Mostly I use priority mail, but they do not track packages the way UPS does.  If you want some way to trace a lost package, buy signature confirmation with the shipment.  I had one package go missing and they were able to track and find it because I had that service.  I buy it for all valuable shipments.
       Maybe it`s just me, but for many years it has seemed that UPS really didn`t want my business at all.  They erect too many barriers that are designed to cater to large companies shipping tons of product.  I still use them if a customer has a UPS account and insists on it.  Otherwise I avoid them.  I will say that the drivers of UPS are mostly first class.  They are the only shining star that company has.
    Teryx3/24/2009 12:04 AM
  • CharleneBlacerCharleneBlacer subscriber Posts: 0

When we started our business, we took it for granted that UPS was the best choice for our shipping needs.   We used their services exclusively for the better part of a year until we began to shop around.  Since then we have switched entirely to the US Postal Service.  Here`s why:Shipping Rates are much lower.  I can save $4 to $5 on every shipment.
    Free boxes!  That`s right - absolutely free.  This alone saves me $.85 to $1.50 per shipment.
    Similar services.  USPS and UPS have similar tracking features, email notifications, address books, transactional reporting, etc.  (The only negative point is that the USPS has a more limited pick-up schedule.)
    Really easy  international service.  I admit that I`ve only had to ship internationally about 5 times.  With UPS, the paperwork was a pain but with the USPS, there was no problem at all.  Very easy to generate the required labels.  (Actually, we used UPS for our first international shipment from USA to Canada and it wound up getting blocked by Canadian customs.  The package was returned to me and I had to refund my customer almost $100. )Any thoughts / experiences?

I prefer USPS as well.  You can stuff a lot in their free flat rate boxes and it arrives to US customers in about 1-2 days.  I also like Stamps.com for the discount, saves customers` info, send email notifications...wish they were mac compatible though.
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I used UPS for years.  In some areas I received real good service.  But, most area, I received bad service.  It was common to have packages mis delivered every week, even going cross town.  I also spent weeks trying to collect on obvious shipper caused freight damage claims.  And, never was I able to resolve these claims without going all the way up to the corporate level customer service. 
    I`ve seldom used USPS.  But, I have never had a problem when I did use them.  Most of my shipping was DHL or Fed Ex though.
  • TeryxTeryx subscriber Posts: 0
      Nev,
         I`ve had similar experience with collecting on damaged UPS freight even when the package looked like it had been dragged behind a truck for miles.  Fully 10% of the UPS packages I recieve that are not small cubes are damaged.  I have gotten many that are ripped upen and the contents partially or wholey missing.  The insurance claim system at UPS is designed to cost you more than it`s worth, and it does!  The way I handle insurance is to add a small surcharge to each shipment for insurance that I underwrite myself.  If a shipment doesn`t reach a customer, I would immediately send another.  No claims nightmare, no upset customer, no problem.  USPS has been so reliable over the 4 years that I have used them that  even the small surcharge has resulted in a profit.

Teryx
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I watched one UPS driver in Las Vegas throw six large boxes out of the back of his truck.  The boxes split open on the spot.  He didn`t know I was watching and brought the boxes into my store.  The driver then claim the boxes were ripped open when they were loaded into his truck. 
    I filed a complaint with the local center.  But, the no action was ever taken. 
    I took this complaint and more than two dozen mis delivered package complaints to the owner of the company. He agreed with me and we switched to Fed Ex.nevadascul3/25/2009 9:51 PM